This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

White text on dark board - is it possible?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
pavbaranov
Registered Member
OS
Hello everybody, because I'm first time there.
I have one problem with some KDE apps, specially with Calligra Suite/KOffice.
I'm one of those who have a serious problem with my eyes. To work on computer I must white text on black (dark) screen (and dark theme too). If there isn't a problem to change colors of Calligra Suite interface (just system colors do it), there is serious problem with changing colors of "paper" (just for screen, not for print). Any apps tested by me, like OpenOffice.org/LibreOffice, Abiword, and some else haven't got any problem with it. On Calligra Suite/KOffice I cannot change colors (negative it ;)) in any way. Is it possible at all?

PS: Sorry for my english. It isn't my native language.
pavbaranov
Registered Member
OS
OK, some more information.
According to http://www.linuxtopia.org/online_books/ ... sight.html it should be very simple. But it's not. Any theme or color I use is not acceptable by KOffice. The color of interface is changing anytime I change system color, but background of document is always the same: black text on white page.
Is it a bug?
john_hudson
Registered Member
OS
it probably is an as yet unimplemented feature. You can certainly do what you want in LibreOffice but this means it prints out white on black. If that is what you want, LibreOffice is probably the way to go until Calligra arrives. However, if you want to edit with a black background but print with a white one, the only application I know that will permit this is LyX (once a KDE program but which has now flown the nest).

John Hudson, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
pavbaranov
Registered Member
OS
I expect only negative screen view. Prints should be normal: black on white.
I know that LibreOffice and many other applications (i.e. AbiWord) could inverse screen view.I think about KOffice/Caligra just because it's a KDE/Qt application (I'm KDE user). According to KOffice guide this feature should be implemented in KOffice.
Ok, I know that it's impossible to get what I want. But it is forgotten feature or the developers don't care about it?
john_hudson
Registered Member
OS
No, the problem has been not enough developers in KDE. LibreOffice and OpenOffice have over 200 developers each working on them.

Even if it is practical, if you want it right now and you want it for writing, LyX is the way to go - a different experience but also a Qt based application (now with Oxygen icons) and one which will give you what you want now.

John Hudson, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
fast_rizwaan
Registered Member
OS
Hi,

Please enable and use "INVERT" effect in kwin settings; that way you can assign shortcuts for quick invert effect; white becomes black and black becomes white and other colors also become opposite only visually.