This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Ktouch is empty - Keyboard layout issue ?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
xenos
Registered Member
Hi everyone,

I just installed Ktouch on my new installation of Kubuntu 16.04 LTS. When I'm launching Ktouch, it's empty. There is nothing and the button "Start the training" on the right-bottom is disabled:

When I'm launching Ktouch from the konsole, I'm receiving those lines:
ktouch
Connecting to deprecated signal QDBusConnectionInterface::serviceOwnerChanged(QString,QString,QString)
QDBusConnection: session D-Bus connection created before QCoreApplication. Application may misbehave.
KDE Daemon (kded) already running.
QDBusConnection: session D-Bus connection created before QCoreApplication. Application may misbehave.
kbuildsycoca4 running...
file:///usr/lib/kde4/imports/org/kde/plasma/components/Button.qml:194:5: QML Row: Boucle potentielle détectée dans les ancres pour le remplissage.
file:///usr/lib/kde4/imports/org/kde/plasma/components/Button.qml:194:5: QML Row: Boucle potentielle détectée dans les ancres pour le remplissage.
file:///usr/share/kde4/apps/ktouch/qml/LessonSelectorBase.qml:44:9: QML Column: Cannot specify top, bottom, verticalCenter, fill or centerIn anchors for items inside Column
file:///usr/share/kde4/apps/ktouch/qml/LessonSelectorBase.qml:44:9: QML Column: Cannot specify top, bottom, verticalCenter, fill or centerIn anchors for items inside Column
file:///usr/share/kde4/apps/ktouch/qml/TrainingScreenMenuOverlay.qml:71:13: QML Button: Boucle d'association détectée pour la propriété ëàminimumWidthàû
file:///usr/share/kde4/apps/ktouch/qml/TrainingScreenMenuOverlay.qml:71:13: QML Button: Boucle d'association détectée pour la propriété ëàminimumWidthàû
file:///usr/share/kde4/apps/ktouch/qml/TrainingScreenMenuOverlay.qml:91:13: QML Button: Boucle d'association détectée pour la propriété ëàminimumWidthàû
file:///usr/share/kde4/apps/ktouch/qml/TrainingScreenMenuOverlay.qml:91:13: QML Button: Boucle d'association détectée pour la propriété ëàminimumWidthàû
file:///usr/share/kde4/apps/ktouch/qml/DetailedRadioButton.qml:42:9: QML Text: Boucle d'association détectée pour la propriété ëàwidthàû

When I'm typing the command ktouch -v shows, I'm receiving those information:
ktouch -v shows
Qt : 4.8.7
Plate-forme de développement de KDE : 4.14.16
Formateur en dactylographie : 2.3.0

Apparently the issue is coming from the keyboard layout. But I find my keyboard (België) on the available keyboards list in Ktouch:

Is it a keyboard layout issue like I assume ? What do I have to do given that my keyboard België is already available in Ktouch ? There is something to configure ?

Thank you in advance for your help,

xenos
wolfi323
Registered Member
OS
xenos wrote:When I'm launching Ktouch from the konsole, I'm receiving those lines:

Those lines are rather "normal", and do not indicate an issue AFAICT (I don't speak french... ;) ).

Is it a keyboard layout issue like I assume ? What do I have to do given that my keyboard België is already available in Ktouch ? There is something to configure ?

Normally not I think.

But something like this happens if the Qt4 sqlite database "driver" is not installed (the profiles get saved in a sqlite database).
So check that the pacakge libqt4-sql-sqlite is installed.
xenos
Registered Member
wolfi323 wrote:So check that the pacakge libqt4-sql-sqlite is installed.

Thank you wolfi323 for your quick reply. The package libqt4-sql-sqlite is already installed.

I think the issue is coming from the keyboard, because when I'm changing my keyboard in Kubuntu from Belgian to French (Dvorak) Ktouch is launching:

Unfornately this French (Dvorak) keyboard is completely different of my Belgian keyboard. And like I said, this Belgian keyboard is available in the keyboards list in Ktouch... So why Ktouch is not launching correctly ?
wolfi323
Registered Member
OS
xenos wrote:I think the issue is coming from the keyboard, because when I'm changing my keyboard in Kubuntu from Belgian to French (Dvorak) Ktouch is launching:

Ok, you are right.
I can reproduce the problem when switching to a Belgian keyboard layout, even though it works fine with German.

Apparently the problem is that ktouch doesn't come with any Belgian lesson. If I delete/move the german lessons, it shows the same behavior here with a german keyboard.
Create a new lession for a Belgian keyboard and you should be able to use ktouch.
To do so, click on the settings button in the top-right corner and choose "Course and Keyboard Layout Editor", then click on the "New" button.
xenos
Registered Member
wolfi323 wrote:Create a new lession for a Belgian keyboard and you should be able to use ktouch.

I exported the lesson Français 2 (auto-généré) to xml. I changed in the xml the id tag to be unique and the keyboardLayout tag to be. I imported my new xml and I can use the French lesson with my belgian keyboard.

I propose to add this new lesson directly to ktouch, to be available for everyone. I'm not the only one with this issue and I don't think that most people will find this solution...
wolfi323
Registered Member
OS
Well, you should probably file a bug report at http://bugs.kde.org/ and suggest that there.

I am not a ktouch developer, and they may not read it here.
Also things like that may be overlooked/forgotten in the forums, it's easier to look for open issues for a particular application later on in the bug tracker.

Btw, you can also create a new lesson based on an existing one (even if it is for a different keyboard layout).
There should be no need to export it, modify the file, and import it again I think.