This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Randomness of card sort in Kpat

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
njohnson
Registered Member

Randomness of card sort in Kpat

Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:39 pm
It was been many years since I took a university probability course, but the hairs on the back of my neck are twitching at something I have observed in kpat.

I always like to play it when waiting for compiles to execute (or windows to boot when I have to :-) )

For years I played it on a Toshiba L300D with an AMD Athlon 64 bit dual-core processor. After a winning run of over 7000 games I observed that at least once in a few dozen games I was able to get it out in mid to high eighties, and more often in the low-to-mid nineties. My lowest was 82 moves. I always play Klondike.

After moving to a Lenovo T430 ( intel core i7 vpro) I started noticing it was taking me much longer to get out. I can only rarely get below 100! My lowest was 92.

I have now got a winning streak of over 800 games and it seems to me that the shuffling of cards is not random. There always seem to be more low cards at the bottom of the right-hand side of the tableau.

Could there be a difference in randomness between different processors?