This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

education for children

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
firstdan
Registered Member

education for children

Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:36 pm
hello!
I have a problem with my 6 year boy. My child stays all day with eyes on the screen!
Any good ideas, or someting for him do do creativ things?
airdrik
Registered Member
OS

Re: education for children

Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:50 pm
We had a similar problem with our oldest getting hooked early to playing on our phones. At first I was ok with it, selecting games and educational apps such as gcompris and the educational apps provided by KDE. I even set up separate profiles on our home computer for each of our kids (once they are old enough to start getting on the computer).
Depending on what creative interests you or your child have there are a variety of options to explore.

On the other hand, to combat their turning completely into "screen zombies", we've established limits on how much time they are allowed to spend playing on our phones or the computer. We usually use child lock apps on our phones to restrict what they are allowed to do and lock them out when their time is up. When playing on the computer we keep a separate timer running on our phones, though there are parental control apps you can install to set up such limits automatically. The main reason we haven't gone that far is that we like the flexibility of being able to log them in for unlimited time to work on school assignments and things, as well as to allow them a short grace period to wrap up if they are close to finishing a level or whatever.

airdrik, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Dec.
sonalimohol
Registered Member

Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:34 am
Make him join some indoor or outdoor games. Or make him see educational stuff on the screen which is in interest of him.
rositarose
Registered Member
OS

Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:55 am
Hello,
Set a good example. Don’t hand your phone to your toddler when you are busy and want to distract him/her. Don’t use the TV as a babysitter so you can “get something done”. Don’t be on your phone or computer when they want to play with you. Involve them in outdoor activities or arts they are interested in.

I didn’t buy a TV until my kids were in kindergarten and wanted to be able to talk about TV shows with their friends. We never restricted their computer time (we bought them their own computers), because we wanted them to grow up with computer competency. That was before tablets were popular, I’m not sure what we would do now. I think we would keep them on computers.

Drat, it’s on another computer then this, I’ll look for it when I get home. I have an adorable picture of both boys as toddlers sitting in the same chair at their computer with the older helping the younger play an educational reading prep game.

The toddler is the last age where you really can control their screen time, so if this is important to you, radically change your habits now.

Hope this helps :)