This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

KTouch is slow when line is long

Tags: ktouch, education, typing ktouch, education, typing ktouch, education, typing
(comma "," separated)
eltorredelego
Registered Member

KTouch is slow when line is long

Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:31 pm
Hello there,

first of all, I'd like to emphasize that I'm a big fan of the ingenious software KTouch, and the great work of the many excellent programmers involved in this project significantly contributes to the inspiration I get every day from free software like it.

That being said, I have a horribly slow laptop computer, which I do continue to use because it consumes far less energy than my "desktop" computer. Since I love learning languages (including new alphabets), I'd like to get KTouch running on this slow computer.

Now unfortunately, it seems to run very slowly. I've got Debian Buster with Gnome, and whenever the current line is long, the application will lag horribly while I type.

If there are just a few letters in the current line, it will go fast, regardless of the overall size of the lesson. I've discovered this while beginning the Greek course.

My great hope is that someone here can contact the coder who knows about this stuff, and who possibly can change the one line that makes some loop run incredibly often. At the moment, my CPU cooler goes bananas when I attempt to type my way through a long line.

EDIT: Unfortunately, turning off any of the visual aids (such as the real-time statistics) does not change the speed at all.
eltorredelego
Registered Member

Re: KTouch is slow when line is long

Wed Dec 25, 2019 12:33 pm
Apparently, I bungled my Linux update. Now that it's been successful, it works like a charm. Sorry for causing trouble.