This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

kmahjongg backgrounds

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
filmore
Registered Member

kmahjongg backgrounds

Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:16 pm
Hi,
I have recently installed the kde4 version of kmahjongg which is very nice, one thing I liked with the kde3 version was the option to change the background.
So I see with the new version you need to do the pictures in svg format with an associated .desktop file, so I got inkscape to make the svg files and everything should be ok, but the problem is that some of my pictures work and some don't and I don't see what the difference is the ones that don't work just show up as a grey background, so I guess my question is what is the program looking for in the svg files? they all display fine in konqurer.
thanks Filmore
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

RE: kmahjongg backgrounds

Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:33 pm
Konqueror unfortunately is not very good at rendering scalable vector graphics ( SVG ). I can only suspect that it is after multiple elements in a single SVG file. You can probably find an example of this in one of the existing backgrounds.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
filmore
Registered Member

RE: kmahjongg backgrounds

Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:16 pm
Well, I guess the problem is I don't know squat about svg, I have had some luck converting jpg's to bmp's first, but it's still kind of hit or miss, after learning a little about svg it seems like there is something going on with the path or the picture it is pointing to, can't figure out what though, thing is they all work in konqurer, and firefox, just not the game, will keep trying
it-s
Registered Member

Re: kmahjongg backgrounds

Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:35 pm
Well first of all, don't use BMP. They are heavy, uncompressed and won't be handled properly. Use jpg, or png instead.

How to convert jpg/png to SVG using Inkscape (under KDE)

1) Right click the image you wish to SVG and choose "Open With"->"Other..."
2) When the Open With menu window pops up simply type inkscape into the text field. Then press Enter
3) Inkscape will start and load your picture with correct dimensions.
4) In Inkscape click on "Effects"->"Images"->"Embed all images..."
5) When a new window pops up click "Apply", then "Close"
6) Proceed to save the result as SVG (Save As, and make sure the format is set to SVG, and the extension of your new file is SVG. IF it isn't - change it"

You're done. This should work in latest KMahjongg without fail.

it-s
Graphics and Design
KDEGames module