This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

KDE4 and OpenGL games [SOLVED, sort off]

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
hermann
Registered Member
Hi,
hi all, since this is my first Posting.
I sometime like to play a good round of Tremulous (OpenGL). If I start the game from KDE4 i have about half the framerate insted of starting it from KDE3.
Has anyone got a hint what I can do? Maybe it is a OS thing? Has anyone got experience running non KDE OpenGL Software/Games?
I use the current Kubuntu and have Nvidia HW.

thanks,
Hermann

Last edited by hermann on Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hermann, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

RE: KDE4 and OpenGL games

Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:37 am
Are you using compositing in Kwin? ( System Settings > Desktop )
Try with/without it to see if it makes a difference.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
dimsuz
KDE Developer
OS

Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:00 am
And also take a look at this: http://userbase.kde.org/GPU-Performance
Nvidia drivers had some major problems with 2d graphics. Recently they released 177.x driver which fixes this. Try upgrading and see if it helps you.

One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know", Alice answered. "Then", said the cat, "it doesn't matter."
(c) Lewis Carroll
hermann
Registered Member

Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:52 am
Thanks for you answers. I did try without Kwin acceleration and it did work better but still not the frame rate of KDE3. And something else happend during gameplay. It killed my Mouse inputs yesterday. The game poped into windowmode for one moment, and switched back to the game. But after that I couldn't use the mouse. Keyboardinputs worked though.

Well I will try it again.

Off topic: I subscribed this Thread, but I didn't get notified? I didn't find anything in my Spam filter? Do you get notified for new postes?

~Hermann

bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:01 am
Perhaps it was kded having issues again, that usually causes keyboard / mouse input issues.

Yes, i do get notified when someone posts a new post, but only if i goto that post first. i don't recieve any more notifications about that thread until i visit it.

KDE Sysadmin
hermann
Registered Member

Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:31 am
I found that with XRender settings for Desktopeffects insted of OpenGL, the games work much better. I can live with that now.

thanks,
Hermann

bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:24 am
If this thread is solved, could you please add [SOLVED] to the start of the subject? Thanks.

KDE Sysadmin