This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Language learning software

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
keba
Registered Member

Language learning software

Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:58 am
Hi,

I made a brainstorm for a new program that helps to learn languages. See brainstorm.php#idea89608_page1 for details.

Now I wanted to write the program, but the most I know is some very basic C, no C++ or similar. I would very much like to help with the language files which would be simple text files, I guess... To get it started, a user interface would be needed, and this wouldn't be very complicated. Something like kpat does would be very nice. So if anyone is willing to help, I'd be happy to try and do this.
It could also be an improvement of Parley...

Scientific Background:
There are two modes of thinking, according to Slovic et al. (2004) and Kahneman (2003). The analytical system relies on probabilities, logical reasoning, evidence and learned rules. It is slow, effortful deliberate and with conscious control. This is what most language learning tools and courses use, like Kwordquiz or Parley or most books. If you are very good, the use of the language becomes intuitive over time, but that's a lot of work. The second thinking mode is the experiental system: It relies on images, metaphors, narratives, experience and affect. This is how you learn your mother tongue or how you think after many many years of using another learned language. It is fast, effortless, automatic, intuitive and affective. This is how the Rosetta Stone software works and basically the goal of this new application. It teaches through images and makes you experience a language. It's much easier and faster to learn a language this way, because it doesn't depend on rules (for grammar for example).
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Re: Language learning software

Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:50 am
C++ is quite similar to C. Primarily, you will need to know about classes in order to program with Qt. You can find some simple tutorials with the Qt documentation, located at http://doc.qt.nokia.com/

I recommend starting and getting comfortable with Qt before beginning with KDE. The only major difference is the build system, as Qt uses QMake whilst KDE uses CMake.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
keba
Registered Member

Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:10 am
Thanks for the reply. Even that is a bit hard, since my C is not more than writing a function that computes prime numbers...
I'm asking if someone is willing to develop the UI so I can do what I know I can in a reasonable amount of time, which is the development of the language exercises for at least some European languages.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:40 am
You may wish to contact the kde-edu mailing list regarding application development. I would recommend using Parley though.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]