This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Accounts with different currencies

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
ablanchard
Registered Member

Accounts with different currencies

Sun Mar 20, 2022 8:29 am
Hi,

I have been using Skrooge for 6 months now for my main account (EUR - primary currency). So far no issues.
I added another account in a different currency (USD).

Problem: all operations for my USD account are displayed in EUR.
So if I add an expense of 111 USD, it shows 100 euro. This is obviously not convenient to manage my USD account.

Did I miss any settings or configure something wrongly? or is this the normal behavior of Skrooge?
Is the only way to manage that is to create 2 separate skg files to avoid this auto conversion?
I would prefer to keep them in the same file (so I can do report in 1 currency) but when looking at 1 account in USD, it doesn't make sense to show it in EUR.

Anyone can confirm what is the best way to handle that in Skrooge?
Thank you for your help
JesusM
Registered Member
OS
There are two different columns sets: income/income entered, expense/expense entered, balance/balance entered. The 'entered' version of the value will show it in the proper currency, while the normal column will show the conversion to your primary currency.

In the operations view you can add one or both columns:

This same applies for when you operate with shares.

Hope this helps.
//JM
ablanchard
Registered Member
Hi JM,

Yes indeed it works, thanks, problem solved.
Now after I switch to "amount entered" in Operation or even in Account.
By default when you switch screen, it revert to "amount" so to avoid that, we need to click on "Save page state" (Menu > View) or Ctrl+Alt+S

There is a bit of inconsistency in the UI when you use "group by" (it uses the primary currency) where at the bottom right it uses the account currency. But it's not a blocker.

Now I need to learn how to use dashboard and reports with those multi-currencies
Thanks for your help!
JesusM
Registered Member
OS
You can save the current view as the default one by clicking on the icon by the left of the tab name:

You can also bookmark different views for specific accounts, date ranges, etc, with the right configuration for each one. This way you have an quick way to see what you need for each account or operations view.