This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Problems installing under Ubuntu 22.04

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
kbarber
Registered Member
I've been using Skrooge for a couple of years under Ubuntu 20.04, all worked pretty well (and of course I now have a fair bit of data that needs Skrooge to read it).

Having upgraded to Ubuntu 22.04 I had problems that forced a complete re-install. Attempting to install Skrooge using Ubuntu software install resulted in apparent success, but the icon is a cogwheel and Skrooge will not launch. Browsing reviews in the Software Install application includes a note that 'It is missing "/snap/skrooge/24/kf5-locale-gen"'. Searching for that leads to a couple of forum threads in French; unfortunately my French language skills are nowhere near sufficient to make use of those threads.

Please can anyone help out? Although I'm reasonably happy using the command line (I started out with DOS back in 1987!), I'm not really a computer person, I prefer to use it as a tool, so I often need quite a lot of guidance at a fairly basic level.

Many thanks.
ostroffjh
Registered Member
OS
For the French posts, try Google Translate. However, the mention of "snap" suggests that is not about the standard package installation. (I don't use snaps, but they are a particular flavor of self-contained packages.) One thing you can try is launching from command line. Open some terminal app (such as konsole) and just typing "skrooge" (without the quotes.) That might give you a more useful error message to follow up on. The cogwheel for an icon suggests there might be a problem with the package file - will it let you install an older version, just to test? Another thing you might try is to see if skrooge is available as an appimage. That is also a self-contained package, where you save the appimage file to the disk, change the mode to make it executable, and then just double click on it (if it's on the Desktop, for example) or type the full path to the file in a console.