This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

My gwenview has scrambled menus... buggy version?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
latebeat
Registered Member
Hello all,

I'm having some problems with gwenview lately. I can't recall when this started as I haven't used gwenview in a while. Anyhow, almost all actions apart from next/previous cause it to crash.. i.e. export photos or even zoom to 100% sometimes.

One thing that is very strange is that the plugins menu is showing the wrong entries. For example Plugins > Export... shows all the IMPORT menu entries. Plugins > Batch Processing... shows all the EXPORT menu items, Plugins > Collections... shows all the batch processing menu entries. Also the share button in the main toolbar shows the import menu items, not the export ones.

I googled a bit and found no bug reports of this so I'm assuming this happens only on my system and that's why I'm posting here for any suggestions?

I tried purging and reinstalling. I'm using kubuntu 12.04 and kde v.4.9.2. Gwenview is v2.9.1

any ideas?

thank you
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Please run "kbuildsycoca4 --noincremental" and attempt to reproduce under a new user.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
latebeat
Registered Member
bcooksley wrote:Please run "kbuildsycoca4 --noincremental" and attempt to reproduce under a new user.

Ok so I did that and it didn't work. kbuildsycoca4 produced a small unrelated error:
Code: Select all
kbuildsycoca4(9714) VFolderMenu::loadDoc: Parse error in  "/home/latebeat/.config/menus/applications-merged/xdg-desktop-menu-dummy.menu" , line  1 , col  1 :  "unexpected end of file"

I created a new user and gwenview still shows the menus scrambled up. Tried purging and reinstalling again, no luck.

This is a brand new install of kubuntu 12.04. Before this I was using the same version with no problems (although it was an upgrade from the previous kubuntu release not a brand new install).

any more suggestions ? Isn't this so weird?
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Can you please make sure Digikam/Gwenview/libkipi/etc are all installed at their respective latest versions, and all from the same repository? (If you don't have Digikam installed, don't install it - it is another application which uses Kipi - the framework which provides those import/export plugins however).

KDE Sysadmin
latebeat
Registered Member
bcooksley wrote:Can you please make sure Digikam/Gwenview/libkipi/etc are all installed at their respective latest versions, and all from the same repository? (If you don't have Digikam installed, don't install it - it is another application which uses Kipi - the framework which provides those import/export plugins however).

OK, I'm a little confused as to what I should try? I do have digikam installed and I'm a pretty heavy user.. it was the first thing I installed. Should I remove it along with libkipi? I have both libkipi v8 and 9. Which uses which ? Also I don't see how digikam and gwenview can be from different repositories or how they have been improperly installed? I have the backports repository enabled along with the kubuntu proposed and I'm using aptitude
luebking
Are you using the appmenu plasmoid (ie. the menubar is on top of the screen)?
latebeat
Registered Member
luebking wrote:Are you using the appmenu plasmoid (ie. the menubar is on top of the screen)?

No, I'm not. I didn't even know it existed before I looked it up just now :)
latebeat
Registered Member
bcooksley wrote:Can you please make sure Digikam/Gwenview/libkipi/etc are all installed at their respective latest versions, and all from the same repository? (If you don't have Digikam installed, don't install it - it is another application which uses Kipi - the framework which provides those import/export plugins however).

Ok so I purged, gwenview, ksnapshot, digikam, libkipi8, libkipi9 libkipi-data.
Then I autoremoved with purge the following:

digikam-data* enblend* enfuse* freeglut3* hugin* hugin-data* hugin-tools* kde-runtime-dbg* kdelibs5-dbg*
  kipi-plugins-common* libboost-regex1.46.1* libboost-signals1.46.1* libc6-dbg* libglew1.5* libimage-exiftool-perl*
  libkdcraw-data* libkdcraw20* libkface-data* libkface1* libkgeomap-data* libkgeomap1* libkimproxy4* libkrossui4*
  libksane-data* libksane0* libkutils4* libkvkontakte1* libmarblewidget13* libmediawiki1* libopencv-legacy2.3*
  libopencv-video2.3* libpano13-2* libpano13-bin* libplot2c2* libqt4-dbg* libzthread-2.3-2* marble-data*
  mplayerthumbs* svgpart*

So after that, I reinstalled just ksnapshot which depends on libkipi-data and libkipi9.
After I installed it, when I hit print screen, ksnapshot comes up but I have nothing in the send to menu.
(Just to clarify do you guys get the facebook/smugmug EXPORT or IMPORT there?)

Now, after that I installed back kipi-plugins which installed all sorts of dependencies. Now, in the send to menu, ksnapshot shows all the IMPORT entries (i.e. import to facebook, smugmug, picasaweb etc) just like gwenview was showing the import menu entries under the export menu, all mixed up.

Here's what I mean:

Is it something with libkipi9 ? Because digikam has no such problem although it depends on libkipi8 not 9.
latebeat
Registered Member
Sorry to bump this post but I'm really struggling here. Any ideas as to what I can do?
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
The off-by-one offset is rather unusual. Can you please try running Gwenview with Oxygen or Plastique (run: gwenview -style oxygen) and see if it still occurs there?

KDE Sysadmin
latebeat
Registered Member
bcooksley wrote:The off-by-one offset is rather unusual. Can you please try running Gwenview with Oxygen or Plastique (run: gwenview -style oxygen) and see if it still occurs there?

It is very unusal! I tried both oxygen and plastique and it's the same. Note the share button how it has the wrong entries? This also happen in ksnapshot for example, which also uses lib-kipi9. However, with digikam that is using lib-kipi8 this is not the case. I purged everything (libkipi8,9, digikam, ksnapshot gwenview,etc) and reinstalled with no results.

any more ideas ?
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
The fact that both Gwenview and KSnapshot display this broken behaviour is indicative that the real issue lies lower in the system.
Best to wait for agateau to comment on why Gwenview might be exhibiting this behaviour, as this should not occur from what I can tell in the code (but he may be aware of something which could trigger it).

KDE Sysadmin
latebeat
Registered Member
Ok so this was finally fixed today with an upgrade:

The following NEW packages will be installed:
  libkdcraw21{a} libmarblewidget14{a} marble-plugins{a}
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  libkdcraw20{u} libkipi8{u} libmarblewidget13{u}
The following packages will be upgraded:
  digikam digikam-data ffmpeg kipi-plugins kipi-plugins-common libav-tools libavcodec-extra-53 libavdevice53 libavfilter2 libavformat53
  libavutil-extra-51 libkface-data libkface1 libkgeomap-data libkgeomap1 libkvkontakte1 libmediawiki1 libpostproc52 libswscale2

i don't know what fixed it (removing libkipi8 or upgrading kipi-plugins) but it's all good now!
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
It looks like you got an update to Gwenview/Digikam - they are now using the same version of libkipi which probably fixed it.

KDE Sysadmin