This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Gwenview 'browse'-window how select single image?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
josvanr
Registered Member
OS
Hello

It might sound like toopid quesion but I've been using kde / linux for.... dont know how many years and I've never figured out how to select a single image in gwenview's browse window. Here is what I tried:

0) clicking the image thumb: no work, this opens the image (ok, feature)

1) left click background and then drag to get a selection 'box' or whatever that is called, and drag that over the image to be selected. No work: when the image thumbnail is surrounded by other thumbnails, the input focus is always on the image thumb itself or on the surrounding thumbs. So clicking the background is not possible.

2) click the + on the image. No work: there always also seems to be another image selected. Of course on can click - on the other images, but... hmmm..

What is the proper way to select an image??

Jos
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
To select a single image I usually click on some blank space (or the red negative selector) to deselect the already selected image, then use the + to perform the selection.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
agateau
OS
It is indeed a bit painful because of the single-click-to-open default policy. It is much easier when using double-click-to-open, but that is not the default setting, so I need to figure out a better way to work in single-click-to-open mode.
sredna
Registered Member
OS
The logical solution would be to have an action button for it, along with the existing ones.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
In case this helps, you can also hold down the Ctrl key, which will force Gwenview to only select or deselect images/folders.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
private_lock
Registered Member
Hello!

I can move the selection around by double clicking the letters of the filename in overview-mode. With my thick fingers and the touchpad tapping not being 100% precise, this sometimes initiates a drag and drop, as the second tap might be one pixel off. Then I have to cancel the popup menu.

Also if you directly prior used a rectangle selection by dragging from the far right empty background, double clicking a filename will reset only one corner of a selection rectangle and expand it accordingly to connect to the previous rectangle selection in a somewhat random fashion.

Finally the cursor keys work quite well to move a single selection around.

BTW: If you want some free background space on the right to start your rectangle selections from, you can either drag the width of the sidebar if you prefer it visible all the time or adjust the size of the thumbnails. As the thumbnail size is hard to control via mouse, you just click the slider in the lower right corner once to bring the keyboard focus there and use the cursor keys for infinitesimal increments.

HTH
private_lock
Teunis
Registered Member
I agree with bcooksley, the Ctrl key is the logical selection key, worked for me since ever.