This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

SVG rendering problems under KDE

Tags: svg, karbon14, gwenview svg, karbon14, gwenview svg, karbon14, gwenview
(comma "," separated)
RGB
Registered Member
OS

SVG rendering problems under KDE

Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:14 pm
KDE's bug tracker shows almost 300 svg related reports so maybe this is a know problem, but I'm not sure how to narrow the search.

I have a one page PDF file that I converted to SVG using pdf2svg. The resulting SVG file opens without trouble on Inskape and can be used without a problem on OpenOffice, but it is not rendered right on Gwenview nor under Karbon14: all text boxes are empty and several lines are not rendered as intended. If I right click on the SVG and select Actions → Convert → to PNG I only obtain a black square.

This is the original PDF file
This is the SVG image

Any idea? Thanks

RGB, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Nov.
And proud to be a kde user since 1.1.2
RGB
Registered Member
OS
Ok, It seems the problems is in Qt rather than gwenview nor Karbon14, because Qt only support the static properties of SVG tiny 1.2 spec. See for example this Qt report.

There are tons of SVG related reports on Qt bug tracker system closed as "out of scope" because Qt do not support the full SVG spec and probably never will. So it seems that gwenview will never display complex SVGs correctly unless it switches to QtWebKit for that work or something like that (the SVG displays perfectly on rekonq), and that Karbon14 will never be able to edit those files.

BTW, I just tried inserting the SVG on Words and obviously it have the same problem with all text on the text boxes missing and some lines that should be invisible, visible, so this problem is not gwenview only related. Maybe this thread should be moved back again to "Graphics and multimedia" were it was originally reported, because it's general character.

Regards

EDIT: for karbon14, see this report
Bug 333497 - Bad SVG file interpretation

while for gwenview, see this feature request I just filled
Bug 336436 - Switch to webkit or blink when rendering SVG files

RGB, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Nov.
And proud to be a kde user since 1.1.2