This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Panoramic support for image and video players

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
MirceaKitsune
Registered Member
OS
I recently discovered 360* panoramic media, like this image or this video. I use openSUSE 13.2 with KDE 4.14, and was sad to discover that there aren't any programs to view them with. By view I mean a panorama viewer, which lets you define a desired FOV (Field of View) then look around with the mouse in any direction you desire.

Can I please suggest adding this feature to the media players of KDE? I'm particularly thinking of Gwenview for images and Kaffeine for videos. It would be great if they had a feature to warp an image or video in a panoramic perspective, and let you turn the view around with your keyboard or mouse (or Oculus Rift).
Mamarok
Manager
OS
You should make a feature request in http://bugs.kde.org for Gwenview, then. Reassigning this to the correct subfolder.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
MirceaKitsune
Registered Member
OS
Mamarok wrote:You should make a feature request in http://bugs.kde.org for Gwenview, then. Reassigning this to the correct subfolder.

One request is for Gwenview (images) the other for Kaffeine (videos), so since this thread is about multiple programs I wasn't sure where to put it. Should I make two feature requests for each, or one for both?
Mamarok
Manager
OS
Well, Kaffeine is not on this forum, you should repeat it on their forum, too. Don't know where they put their feature requests, though.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
MirceaKitsune
Registered Member
OS
Mamarok wrote:Well, Kaffeine is not on this forum, you should repeat it on their forum, too. Don't know where they put their feature requests, though.

Oh... isn't Kaffeine a mainstream KDE component (its video player)? I thought the forum had a section or included discussion about each one. I shall look more closely and see what exactly to report then.
Mamarok
Manager
OS
The default video player for a current KDE release would be Dragonplayer, since several years actually :)