This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

How to backup data in Kontact?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
piousp
Registered Member

How to backup data in Kontact?

Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:24 pm
I just want to backup all the data i have in kontact, so i can restore it in case something happens. How can i do it?
Thanks in advance
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

RE: How to backup data in Kontact?

Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:05 am
Most of that data will be stored as files/folders under ~/.kde ( or ~/.kde4 ). note that you will need to back up each component you use as well ( kmail, etc. )

you can use this command to locate all the KMail files: ls -aR | grep -i kmail
just backup everything it lists. you can repeat the same procedure for akregator, and kontact itself.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
anda_skoa
KDE Developer
OS

Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:03 pm
bcooksley wrote:Most of that data will be stored as files/folders under ~/.kde ( or ~/.kde4 ). note that you will need to back up each component you use as well ( kmail, etc. )

you can use this command to locate all the KMail files: ls -aR | grep -i kmail
just backup everything it lists. you can repeat the same procedure for akregator, and kontact itself.

That doesn't cover everything, since for example resource configs are in .kde/share/config/kresources, addressbook files are in .kde/share/apps/kabc, etc

Unless there is a specific reason not to backup other KDE settings and data, I'd rather recommend backup of .kde/ (or .kde4 or wherever $KDEHOME points to)

Cheers,
_

anda_skoa, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
Kryten2X4B
Registered Member
OS

Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:51 pm
anda_skoa wrote:That doesn't cover everything, since for example resource configs are in .kde/share/config/kresources, addressbook files are in .kde/share/apps/kabc, etc

True. It would maybe be a good idea for someone to implement a "Make a backup archive of everything" from within Kontact, and the corresponding "Restore from backup"? I think Evolution implemented something like that relatively recently.

OpenSUSE 11.4, 64-bit with KDE 4.6.4
Proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
michael4910
Alumni
OS

Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:10 pm
I, too, am not that happy with this solution that the data (mails, contacts, etc.) is mixed up with configuration files in the same folder. Is it possible to say Kontact where else to save its data?

michael4910, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
john_hudson
Registered Member
OS

Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:50 pm
I simply do a regular backup of /home. If, for any reason, there is a problem, it is usually only with one component and only that file needs to be restored from the backup.

John Hudson, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
untitled1
Registered Member

Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:24 am
I have just posted a possible solution for backing up all kontact data here:

showthread.php?tid ... 9#pid12629

Can someone check this?
anda_skoa
KDE Developer
OS

Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:25 pm
There is a user data backup tool project called Kamion, however I am not sure about its current state.

The base idea was that it would operate on "backup recipies", i.e. application provided hints which files or directories belong to their data set.

As for paths, well behaved KDE applications should never put any data into the config directory or vice versa, i.e. data should go to share/apps/appname( and config to share/config/appnamerc

Some data storage frameworks allow to specify arbitrary locations, e.g. setting any .vcf file as the addressbook store, however sometimes (e.g. in case of the Mail folder), this is not settable through a GUI.

Cheers,
_

piousp
Registered Member

Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:24 pm
So, ok, i'll just try to back up everything from kontact. I dont want any other settings i have in .kde, so backing up the whole dir is out of question.
Thanks anyways guys!
testmg
Registered Member
hi all,

congrats for the forum!!!!

backuped my .kde (kde3) folder. switched to kde4 and imported the folder. now i can't see the identities of kmail? why? other stuff (kabc, kgpg, kwallet,...) works as i can see. the identity files are at ".../.kde/share/apps/kmail". whats wrong? where is my mistake?

ca and thanks testmg
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:41 pm
You will probably find that KDE 4 stores it's settings in ~/.kde4 therefore it is completely unaware of your restored KDE 3 settings.You should be able to restore the KMail files however without problems as long as you manually only move those.
Because of the major changes between the two, I would not recommend copying your KDE 3 profile over your KDE 4 profile.

KDE Sysadmin
anda_skoa
KDE Developer
OS

Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:48 am
It is important to copy the files before KDE4 ever runs, otherwise the upgrade path as provided by KDE, e.g. automatic config updates, won't work.

Cheers,
_

untitled1
Registered Member

Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:16 pm
Yesterday, I upgraded from kubuntu 8.04 (I used there KDE4.1.2 from the ppa repository - kubuntu-members) to 8.10. As you know 8.10 only updates KDE3.5 and deletes the packages from the "foreign" ppa-repository.

But I have used Kontact in KDE4.1.2 of 8.04 - so what I did to save my all data was:

I changed the backup script (linked above), by replacing all "$HOME/.kde" with "$HOME/.kde4". I started the backup script, which saved the whole data of pim, kwallet and some other applications.

After dist-upgrade to 8.10 I ran the restore script (also linked above). The script doesn't need to be changed, because the new kde4-config directory is now $HOME/.kde (if you have another one, so you have to change the restore paths in the script).

The script perfectly worked! All my data, all my accounts, everything was restored!!

Maybe, this script or tool could be included in the official pim-application?

I hope it will help some of you!
waldelf
Registered Member
OS

Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:54 pm
will "akonadi" take care of this backup "problem"? if everything is stored on one place it should be very easy to write a backup feature ....

Kubuntu 12.04 x64 | KDE SC 4.8
Nvidia 8800 GTS | Core2Duo E6600 | 4 GB RAM
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:39 am
It will be, actually I think it has already been done, through akonaditray. This will make backup of PIM settings and data very easy into the future ( and for applications to share ).

KDE Sysadmin