This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

KMail autocomplete from Kontact address book?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
xmanmonk
Registered Member
OS
I have a bunch of contacts in my KAddressBook address book. When I try to type a name from that address book into the "To" field in KMail, it does not autocomplete. Is there a way to do this?

- X-Man
xmanmonk
Registered Member
OS
Sorry, I put "Kontact" in the subject, but I meant it to say KAddressBook. Can't figure out how to change the subject of the post.

- X-Man
xmanmonk
Registered Member
OS
Well, this is a little strange (and somewhat embarrassing). It suddenly started working. And the only thing I think I did was look at the documentation. Just goes to show how important a well-written manual is. I guess.

- X-Man
toad
Global Moderator
OS
:D

Debian testing
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Do be careful here, it is possible the entries are simply in your Recently used contacts list - which is seperate.

I know this functionality has definitely been properly restored in Trunk, and will be in 4.9. I do not know if it has been backported to 4.8.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
xmanmonk
Registered Member
OS
I disabled the recently used list to make sure, and it's working. Thanks.

- X-Man
carpysoft
Registered Member
What version are you using, and what kinds of address books are you using?
I'm running 4.8 still and it does not autocomplete except from Recently Used.
xmanmonk
Registered Member
OS
Sorry, but I was having numerous problems with it so I eventually went to Evolution instead. I've heard that it's much better in 4.9. I don't recall what version I was using at the time I posted this, but I'm in KDE 4.8.5 right now and still using Evolution. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

- X-Man
ipwizard
KDE Developer
OS
I am running into similar problems here with KDE 4.9.2. I have lots of addresses which show up in the auto-completion drop-down-box. This in fact shows Recent addresses as well as Personal contacts. I noticed that I have a contact not listed in the personal contacts at all, but I received a mail from this contact before. So I used the RMB function in KMail to add the address to the personal contacts where it showed up (using the KAddressbook part in Kontact). When starting a new message though in the KMail part, this new entry does not show up in the Personal contacts part of the auto-completion list. During all this, I did not quit Kontact if this is important. Using the 'Select' button to get to the mail address works without a problem. Any ideas?

ipwizard, proud to be a member of the KMyMoney forum since its beginning. :-D
openSuSE Leap 15.4 64bit, KF5