This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

KMail not filtering properly?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
xmanmonk
Registered Member
OS

KMail not filtering properly?

Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:19 pm
Mint 12 KDE, KMail ver. 4.7.3. I set up the Anti-Spam Wizard and the Anti-Virus Wizard. The Anti-Spam Wizard is using Bogofilter. It is applied to all incoming messages on all accounts. However, messages with a bogosity setting of 1.0 (i.e. clearly spam) are remaining in my inbox. When I manually apply the filters, the messages go to my junk folder, but it's not happening automatically. Any ideas?

- X-Man
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
From what I recall, filters have problems in KMail with both 4.7.x and 4.8.x.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
xmanmonk
Registered Member
OS

Re: KMail not filtering properly?

Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:28 pm
Oh. Well... that's a bit disappointing. What is the current version? And if it's later than 4.8, where can I get it? I thought I had the latest, but I have 4.7.3. :(

- X-Man
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:55 am
KDE 4.9 is currently under development, and has not reached the alpha stage yet. KDE 4.8 is the latest release series, with KDE 4.8.2 to be released next week.

I do not know if your distribution makes KDE 4.8 packages available unfortunately - you will need to check with them.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
xmanmonk
Registered Member
OS

Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:54 pm
Thanks. I'm guessing they don't, since the package has not updated. I'm not averse to downloading and installing it myself, but I can wait for the Mint folks. I think they have a new version in a couple of months anyway. Thanks.

- X-Man
piedro
Registered Member
OS

Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:51 am
So now we have KDE 4.9!

After having lost mail and a lot of other problems (mailbodies lost, mails duplicated, kmail running loops etc.) I am now not brave enough to setup filters and especially spam filters again. Does anyone know whether these problems have been resolved?

Does filtering work now?

Is there a message board somewhere, where I can see what's working properly now and what not?

thx, piedro
sinclair
Registered Member
OS

Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:26 am
piedro wrote:So now we have KDE 4.9!

After having lost mail and a lot of other problems (mailbodies lost, mails duplicated, kmail running loops etc.) I am now not brave enough to setup filters and especially spam filters again. Does anyone know whether these problems have been resolved?

Does filtering work now?

Is there a message board somewhere, where I can see what's working properly now and what not?

thx, piedro

from my experience filtering generally works well in 4.9. Sometimes a filtering does not take place so one or more messages stay in Inbox but most of the times it works as I expect it to. I only use pop3 accounts so can not comment on IMAP
sinclair
Registered Member
OS

Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:27 am
xmanmonk wrote:Thanks. I'm guessing they don't, since the package has not updated. I'm not averse to downloading and installing it myself, but I can wait for the Mint folks. I think they have a new version in a couple of months anyway. Thanks.

you can get the spam filtering working by changing the spamfilter to look "anywhere in headers" for whatever it is bogofilter inserts to signal spam. At least this worked for me with spambayes and CRM114
piedro
Registered Member
OS

Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:51 am
Hmmm i activated spamfiltering with bogofilter as you recommended and guess what:
first mail i got had no message body again!

no time for testing now but I definitly switch the filters off for now ...
it just doesn't feel reliable before testing :-(

btw: to be honest it's no problem at all, who needs easy spam filtering of imap mail at all, phhh, completely overrated!
(850 thread viewers - all mislead!) Wanna know how I know? Hasn't been fixed for over a year! See?

p.
einar
Administrator
OS

Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:46 pm
The bug you mention has been fixed on August 25th. It'll be part of 4.9.1 and distributions should be able to patch their packages to include the fix (it's been added to the 4.8 branch too).

See https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=295484 for more information.

"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent."
Plasma FAQ maintainer - Plasma programming with Python
xmanmonk
Registered Member
OS

Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:53 pm
@einar, thanks much! Looking forward to the Mint distro with that version!

- X-Man
einar
Administrator
OS

Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:12 pm
You may want to poke the Mint developers to patch in their packages with the commit mentioned in the bug report as well.

"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent."
Plasma FAQ maintainer - Plasma programming with Python
xmanmonk
Registered Member
OS

Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:22 pm
Very well. I'm particularly good at poking developers :) Thanks!

- X-Man
piedro
Registered Member
OS

Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:06 am
that is really good news. Well done!

thx for the insight!
piedro