This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

KMail - Remove Duplicate Messages does not run

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
ninob
Registered Member
OS
I have a lot of (light until middle heavy) items regarding the PIM and I'd like to resolve them one by one, if it is possible.
The first one is maybe not the biggest problem, but resolving it should make Akonadi System smaller and consequently give memory resource free.

Removing Duplicate Messages does not run. Akonadi Console shows activities, when it is launched, but duplicate messages are not deleted.
PIM Index active and completed before launching RDM.
I wonder, the search for duplicates takes less as 2 seconds. So I think, the command is ignored or goes in the sand ...

What can I do to solve it?
Maybe, launch the command (which one) from the console?
And what could be happen, if I let delete duplicate mails by an other application such kleansweep or komparator. Will Akonadi recognize, that some records have been deleted ans will es actualize the mails data bank correctly?

Environment
KDE: 4.12.3
Kontact Container: Version 4.12.3
KMail: Version 4.12.3

Many thanks in advance

PS: I read the other topic about the same topic (viewtopic.php?f=215&t=110681&p=262566&hilit=+KMail+Duplicate#p262566), but maybe it happened something after a year ...
einar
Administrator
OS
Are you using POP, IMAP, or disconnected IMAP?

"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent."
Plasma FAQ maintainer - Plasma programming with Python
ninob
Registered Member
OS
Hallo einer,
Thanks for the attention!
You asked:
Are you using POP, IMAP, or disconnected IMAP?

Answer:
Sorry, I've forgot this information.
I'm using both IMAP and POP3. POP3 entries are 99% of all records.
More important: almost all duplicate mails derive from imports (backups) because KMail (round about versions 4.6) repeatedly crashed with data loss.
einar
Administrator
OS
In which account (POP or IMAP) do you want to remove the duplicates? From what you say it should be POP, shouldn't it?

"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent."
Plasma FAQ maintainer - Plasma programming with Python
ninob
Registered Member
OS
einar wrote:In which account (POP or IMAP) do you want to remove the duplicates? From what you say it should be POP, shouldn't it?

They were downloaded from a POP account and now they are under a maildir folder.
But I am not sure, I understand your question.
geoffreywheeler
Registered Member
OS
Has this been resolved? I am running Kubuntu 17.04 with PIM 16.12.3 and Kmail 5.4.3. I seem to have the same problem.

Kubuntu 17.04, Kontact 5.4.3 Toshiba Satellite laptop
nmset
Registered Member
OS
kmail would try hard but fail to remove duplicate messages until I ran

Code: Select all
delete from pimitemtable where remoteid is null;

in akonadiconsole/DB Console tab.

Can't say if it's a trick that can be generalized.

Use at your own risks.

KMail
Version 5.10.3
KDE Frameworks 5.56.0
Qt 5.12.2 (built on 5.12.1)
rafaellinuxuser
Registered Member
OS
Accidentally I duplicated most of my messages in a lot of folders. I tried to remove them with "Ctrl+*" in each folder (or "Folder -> Delete duplicated message" in KMail 5.19.2 (21.12.2) and really it worked very well. Fantastic function.
kde-nmset
Registered Member
Still does not work for me via the menu command.
richarson
Registered Member
OS
It does work for me but sometimes it won't remove all of the duplicates, and I get a notification showing something along the lines of:

Code: Select all
Local folders: [LRCONFLICT] Resource akonadi_maildir_resource_0 tries to modify item 971873 () (in collection 25) with dirty payload, aborting STORE.

So, I go through every email in the folder (e.g., I select the top one and go down with the left arrow) till I get to a mail that isn't working and gives me the same notification.
That mail can't be retrieved, the preview pane won't update (it still shows the content of the previously selected email) and the only way to remove it is by Shift+Del.

After deleting it I start another remove duplicates and it usually completes wihout issues.

But sometimes I have to do this in a folder with thousands of emails (it's all local, downloaded via POP3), so I'd like to ask if someone knows a better way to locate the offending email without going by hand?
I know you can run some queries in akonadiconsole but I'm not sure about the syntax.

Thanks in advance for any hints.
rafaellinuxuser
Registered Member
OS
kde-nmset wrote:Still does not work for me via the menu command.

Are you sure they are "duplicated" ??? Headers must be identical, not only date and time. In fact, my fault was I copied an entire folder and subfolder from IMAP to local folder and then moved from local folder to IMAP folder ... so all messages were cloned and KMail removed them without any issue. Perfect.