This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

KMail crashs - Could not create collection trash, resourceId

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
wired2051
Registered Member
OS
I use Kubuntu 16.04.

I just configured the first (IMAP) account with my mail server on my NAS, all works fine. I didn't use the personal local mails but unfortunately one deleted mail was send to the local trash. I tried to delete it. Now Kontact/KMail didn't start again. It shows the message Could not create collection trash, resourceId: 3 and closes Kontact/KMail - repeatable.

First I tried to solve it by deleting .local/share/local-mail/trash, as mentioned here. It didn't helped.

Then I installed Akonadi Console and went to Agents-tab and removed the "Local Folders" agent - as mentioned here. Now Kontact/KMail still shows the error message but it didn't closes but crashes - repeatable.

Despite the error message still says Could not create collection trash, resourceId: 3, I only found ~/.local/sharemaildir_resource_0. That is the Local Folders Agent listed in Akonadi Console.

At least now I get notifications in Plasma/SystemTray if a new IMAP-mail arrives in remote INBOX. And it looks like akonadi works fine:

Code: Select all
USER@RECHNER:~$ akonadictl status
Akonadi Control: running
Akonadi Server: running
search paths:  ("lib/x86_64-linux-gnu", "lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/plugins/", "lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/kf5/", "lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/kf5/plugins/", "/usr/lib/qt5/plugins/", "/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/plugins", "/usr/bin")
Akonadi Server Search Support: available (Remote Search)
Available Agent Types: akonadi_akonotes_resource, akonadi_archivemail_agent, akonadi_baloo_indexer, akonadi_birthdays_resource, akonadi_contacts_resource, akonadi_davgroupware_resource, akonadi_followupreminder_agent, akonadi_googlecalendar_resource, akonadi_googlecontacts_resource, akonadi_ical_resource, akonadi_icaldir_resource, akonadi_imap_resource, akonadi_invitations_agent, akonadi_kalarm_dir_resource, akonadi_kalarm_resource, akonadi_kolab_resource, akonadi_maildir_resource, akonadi_maildispatcher_agent, akonadi_mailfilter_agent, akonadi_mbox_resource, akonadi_migration_agent, akonadi_mixedmaildir_resource, akonadi_newmailnotifier_agent, akonadi_notes_agent, akonadi_notes_resource, akonadi_openxchange_resource, akonadi_pop3_resource, akonadi_sendlater_agent, akonadi_vcard_resource, akonadi_vcarddir_resource

What can I do to start Kontact/KMail again? :'(

Edit:

~/.kde/share/config/kmailrc contains only one section:

Code: Select all
[$Version]
update_info=mailtransports.upd:initial-kmail-migration

And there are two emailidentities-files: ~/.kde/share/config/emailidentities and ~/.config/emailidentities but both are old, containing remains from Kubuntu 14.04. If I rename ~/.config/emailidentities, it is recreated with the same dated content.

How can I reset KMail? As mentioned, I only use IMAP, so every data is remotely stored...
wired2051
Registered Member
OS
I deleted the IMAP account with Akonadi Console. After that, Kontact starts normal again and I could create the IMAP account again.

But now is an unread message in the local folder / sent messages. I can't read it nor delete it with put all messages in trash. In ~/.local/share/akonadi_maildir_resource_0/sent-mail are no files/messages.

I didn't use the local folder, so can I ignore the message?
einar
Administrator
OS
Just recreate a "Local Folders" account, and this should get fixed. Otherwise, in the "advanced" tab of your Identity (Configure KMail > Identities) configuration you can set custom folders for trash, drafts, etc.

"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent."
Plasma FAQ maintainer - Plasma programming with Python
wired2051
Registered Member
OS
So you mean, it's no problem to delete the Local Folders-entry?

Thanks! I had no courage to do so until now...
wired2051
Registered Member
OS
einar wrote:Just recreate a "Local Folders" account, and this should get fixed. Otherwise, in the "advanced" tab of your Identity (Configure KMail > Identities) configuration you can set custom folders for trash, drafts, etc.

Every IMAP account uses already his own folders for trash, drafts, etc.

But Local Folders has the only outbox - which is used by all IMAP accounts! If I delete Local Folders and than create it again, is there still a outbox which can be used by the other accounts?
einar
Administrator
OS
Yes, it should work.

wired2051
Registered Member
OS
einar wrote:Yes, it should work.

How?

KMail > KMail setup > accesses > local folder can't be deleted.

And I just installed KMail in a VirtualBox-Kubuntu: After I add KMail-Mailfolder, nothing is added in the left folder-window of KMail. After I added a Maildir-folder, it uses ~.local/share/local-mail/ like the original local folder, but left is only a local folder without inbox, outbox, drafts etc. added.

And after all this the original local folder can't still be deleted.
einar
Administrator
OS
Can you try using "akonadiconsole" and deleting the resources from there? You should have "Local Folders" there.

wired2051
Registered Member
OS
I can't delete local folder but the sub-folders singly. But I'm afraid of deleting all sub-folders because I need the local folder > outbox, am I right? And when I tested to create a new "local folder" in VirtualBox-Kubuntu it was empty, without inbox, outbox, drafts etc.

In Akonadi Console I can see all my mail-folders. Also local folder > sent items which contains 1 unread and 2 total but is actually empty (that's my problem now). Can I fix this with Akonadi Console?

What is synchronize folder (F5) and synchronize folder recursive (Strg+F5) doing?

What is clear akonadi cache doing?
einar
Administrator
OS
Don't use the Browser tab. Use the Resources tab (first one on the left) and delete the stray "Local Folders" resource.

ub1x
Registered Member
See also bug report at:
https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=339214

Removing of
~/.local/share/local-mail/trash/
solves the problem.