This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

EWS problems

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
ToeiRei
Registered Member
OS

EWS problems

Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:40 pm
Hi guys,

Got some strange issues on my freshly installed box with akonadi vs some Exchange Server.

Distro: Gentoo Linux
KDE Frameworks: 5.50.0
Qt 5.11.1
kde-apps/akonadi-18.08.1:5
akonadi-ews: 5.9.1

Akonadi Console says:
Identifier: akonadi_ews_resource_2
Type: Microsoft Exchange Server (EWS)
Status Message: Ready
Capabilities: Resource, NeedsNetwork, X-EwsMailTransport
Mimetypes: text/directory, message/rfc822, text/calendar, application/x-vnd.kde.contactgroup, application/x-vnd.akonadi.calendar.event, application/x-vnd.akonadi.calendar.todo

Config seems to be okay, as I can see the folder structure in the 'Subscriptions' Tab of the (native) Config window.

Server Status:
Version: 14.3.123.3 (Exchange 2010 SP3)

Not sure what to do now to solve that one.

Regards
Rei
airdrik
Registered Member
OS

Re: EWS problems

Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:49 pm
I'm not seeing what the problem is, just a description of things apparently working correctly.
What behavior are you seeing?
What behavior do you expect?

Keep in mind that the ews resource is a relatively new addition and may not be very well tested or have all of the features you would expect. You might plan on submitting cases to bugs.kde.org so that the devs can work on fixing some of the issues you are facing.

airdrik, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Dec.
ToeiRei
Registered Member
OS

Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:55 pm
Hi Airdirk,

thank you for the reply. What I would expect is that I'd be able to read my mails. What I actually see is nothing in kmail.

Regards
Rei
airdrik
Registered Member
OS

Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:21 pm
Having recently upgraded to (K)Ubuntu 18.04 with backports, etc. I can confirm the problem you've described. After getting the EWS resource set up "properly", it shows the folder structure in the subscriptions, but nothing shows up in Kmail's folder listings, nor in Korganizer's calendars.

I ended up going back to the setup I had before, using Davmail to proxy with exchange; but I am interested in getting this fixed as I'd rather just go straight to exchange if possible.

I'd recommend firing off a case to bugs.kde.org (or I might later, though I probably won't get around to that for a couple of weeks)

ToeiRei
Registered Member
OS

Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:29 pm
Davmail seems to be an acceptable workaround as it allows me to bypass a couple of firewalls without breaking too many rules.
courgettedesbois
Registered Member

Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:45 pm
Hi guys,
I am having problem with EWS as well.
i have 2 accounts on outlook, a personal (outlook.live.com), and a professional one (outlook.office365.com).
Both are synced on kmail and korganizer through EWS
without changing anything any of my accounts, the professional one stopped to connect, while the other one it still working very well.

digging a bit on internet, it seems that microsoft is stopping to maintain EWS protocol, switching to Microsoft graph:

"Basic Authentication for EWS will be decommissioned
Exchange Web Services (EWS) was launched with support for Basic Authentication. Over time, we’ve introduced OAuth 2.0 for authentication and authorization, which is a more secure and reliable way than Basic Authentication to access data. Please refer to the following article for more information:
Getting started with OAuth2 for Microsoft Graph
Today, we are announcing that on October 13th, 2020 we will stop supporting and fully decommission the Basic Authentication for EWS to access Exchange Online. This means that new or existing apps will not be able to use Basic Authentication when connecting to Exchange using EWS.
"
(see https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/o ... ffice-365/ )

For now i can see my professional mails and calendar straight on the web page, but kmail and korganizer are so useful, i would love to get everything back on them.
Any idea how to get this Microsoft Graph on Kmail/Korganizer ?
airdrik
Registered Member
OS

Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:12 pm
I think you misinterpreted what's being deprecated. EWS is not being deprecated as that is the primary MS-developed and supported means for interacting with Exchange. What they are deprecating is one of the older means of Authenticating with EWS. I'm not sure what authentication scheme the EWS Akonadi resource uses, but this would only impact it if it's using Basic Authentication instead of OAuth (2.2).

arcsinx
Registered Member

Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:13 am
If you'll forgive the thread necromancy, I believe I have fixed the specific problem of folders not appearing in KMail. Grepping syslog for "ews" I saw messages like the below - it seemed to be getting hung up on "Junk Email", even though I wasn't trying to subscribe to it on the Subscriptions tab.

What was interesting about this folder is that it appears twice with the same name. Somehow or another, Exchange had the "real" Junk Email and then a second one of the same name, without the special icon.

Solution: Delete the duplicate folder in Exchange for Web, and reauthenticate/refresh with akonadi. Now the syslog errors go away and the folders appear in KMail.

Unfortunately it hasn't actually shown any message for me yet. It might related to this other log message... but one thing at a time. ;D

Code: Select all
Jun 17 18:11:35 pop-os /usr/libexec/gdm-x-session[31376]: org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: Error while handling command FetchCollections on connection akonadi_ews_resource_0 (0x5595fb0e6c20)

The longer log mentioned above:

Code: Select all
Jun 17 18:02:58 pop-os /usr/libexec/gdm-x-session[34757]: org.kde.pim.ews.client: Starting OAuth2 authentication
Jun 17 18:03:08 pop-os /usr/libexec/gdm-x-session[34757]: org.kde.pim.ews.client: Starting OAuth2 authentication
Jun 17 18:03:08 pop-os /usr/libexec/gdm-x-session[34757]: org.kde.pim.ews.client: Launching browser for authentication
Jun 17 18:03:08 pop-os /usr/libexec/gdm-x-session[34757]: org.kde.pim.ews.client: PKeyAuth certificates not found
Jun 17 18:03:28 pop-os /usr/libexec/gdm-x-session[34757]: org.kde.pim.ews.client: Authentication succeeded
Jun 17 18:03:28 pop-os /usr/libexec/gdm-x-session[31376]: org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: Error while handling command FetchCollections on connection akonadi_ews_resource_0 (0x5595fb0e6c20)
Jun 17 18:03:28 pop-os /usr/libexec/gdm-x-session[31376]: org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: Handler exception when handling command FetchCollections on connection akonadi_ews_resource_0 (0x5595fb0e6c20) : Hierarchical RID does not specify an existing collection
Jun 17 18:03:28 pop-os /usr/libexec/gdm-x-session[34757]: org.kde.pim.ews: ERROR "Hierarchical RID does not specify an existing collection"
Jun 17 18:03:28 pop-os /usr/libexec/gdm-x-session[31376]: org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: Failed to append Collection "Junk Email" in resource "akonadi_ews_resource_0"
Jun 17 18:03:28 pop-os /usr/libexec/gdm-x-session[31376]: org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: Error while handling command CreateCollection on connection akonadi_ews_resource_0 (0x5595fb0e6c20)
Jun 17 18:03:28 pop-os /usr/libexec/gdm-x-session[34757]: org.kde.pim.ews: Special folders fetch failed: Hierarchical RID does not specify an existing collection
Jun 17 18:03:28 pop-os /usr/libexec/gdm-x-session[31376]: org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: Handler exception when handling command FetchCollections on connection akonadi_ews_resource_0 (0x5595fb0e6c20) : Hierarchical RID does not specify an existing collection
theabarnes
Registered Member
OS

Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:45 pm
I've been running into a strange issue related to this. When I try to add my Outlook.com EWS account, OAuth2 always says error 401 even if my password is correct, but basic authentication lets me log in and retrieves my folders and such, but then crashes when it tries to actually get messages or calendar items. Any ideas what I can do? I'm on Arch Linux, Plasma 5.22.3, Framework 5.83.0.