This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Akonadi won't start: Could not open required defaults file

Tags: akonadi, failure akonadi, failure akonadi, failure
(comma "," separated)
zhigalin
Registered Member
OS
I've reopened the Bug #411093 as it's still awaiting a solution
dfoskett
Registered Member
OS
zhigalin wrote:I've reopened the Bug #411093 as it's still awaiting a solution

Thanks for doing that, meant to do it myself and then an update introduced a grub problem and took my whole system down, grrrrrr.

In this thread

https://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=215&t=162239&p=424062&hilit=akonadi+won%27t+start#p421752

andrea noticed a typo in a file path - i just mentioned it in a comment i left at the bug report.
erasmoc
Registered Member
After removing Snapd (that honestly I find quite useless and full of problems) from my system everything works fine with Apparmor. Now Akonadi starts without any problem
bovender
Registered Member
OS
Three years later, and I find myself trying to solve the same problem again. This time, the solution is different, that's why I am reviving this old thread.

I have re-installed my daily workhorse laptop with the current KDE neon image which is based von Ubuntu 22.04. The home partition with all my data in it was left untouched. I use Ansible scripts to manage my machines.

It turns out that the exact same error, unable to open required defaults file, was not caused by AppArmor this time. In fact, the old solution, which was to issue "service apparmor teardown", no longer works at all.

As described in this German conversation, akonadi nowadays uses MariaDB. However, my ansible script had installd mysql-server. The problem was ultimately solved by uninstalling mysql-server (which I don't need as a system-wide service anyways since I have taken to do my development in Docker containers).

Hope this might help someone else, too.