This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Wrong Local Folder location

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
vomus
Registered Member

Wrong Local Folder location

Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:45 am
Hi!
I think I have found a bug of some kind in kmail 19.12.3. After a fresh start on a completely new user I set up an account with local folders by default located in my /home/serge/.local/share/akonadi_maildir_resource_0. I do not like having my mail sitting in dotted directories, so I copied en entire akonadi_maildir_resource_0 into ~/Mail and went to change the location in kmail account settings. I also restarted akonadi to make sure it got everything running.

After doing so I have found that it did not get the new location. I changed it back the old location and found that kmail did not return to the old location either. For some strange reasion, it created a a new location at /home/serge/file:/home/serge/.local/share/akonadi_maildir_resource_0 it now operates from and I am not able to change this behaviour. This is obviously wrong, so I went into akonadiconsole and looked into the database where I found file:/home/serge/.local/share/akonadi_maildir_resource_0 as a location of the local folder. I do not know whether this is right or wrong because other paths do not have file: in them.

In addition to that I now see that kmail stopped rendering message bodies.

Can anyone help?

vomus, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
raphaelra
Registered Member
OS

Re: Wrong Local Folder location

Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:14 am
Try to add new custom account and select Maildir as type/agent. In the next step enter the location folder. You can try with new folder (o.e. ~/Mail) or the existing one /home/serge/.local/share/akonadi_maildir_resource_0. If you choosed new folder, copy the mails and mail folder structure (with file manager) in next step.
vomus
Registered Member

Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:32 am
raphaelra wrote:Try to add new custom account and select Maildir as type/agent. In the next step enter the location folder. You can try with new folder (o.e. ~/Mail) or the existing one /home/serge/.local/share/akonadi_maildir_resource_0. If you choosed new folder, copy the mails and mail folder structure (with file manager) in next step.

This is what I did basically. I managed to return to normal operation by deleting Local Folder throuh akonadiconsole and kmail recreated it automatically in ~/.local/share/akonadi_maildir_resource_1, so it stopped creating 'file:' all around. ;) However, my original task was not achieved, I could not move my mail out of ~/.local. It seems whenever you touch it, everything breaks apart.

I also browsed through sources of kde-pim akonadi resources and it seems the starts from ConfigWidget::save() but I do not have time to dig further. Filed a bug, though. ;D

raphaelra
Registered Member
OS

Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:42 am
What happends, when you go to kmail settings and change the Local Folders maildir folder/path there ? For example to /home/serge/Mail.
Kmail should create that path and the maildir structure in there ...
vomus
Registered Member

Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:41 am
raphaelra wrote:What happends, when you go to kmail settings and change the Local Folders maildir folder/path there ? For example to /home/serge/Mail.

It does not. It starts to create 'file:' inside $HOME and repeat the structure there. Just as I wrote in original post.

vomus
Registered Member

Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:57 am
vomus wrote:
raphaelra wrote:What happends, when you go to kmail settings and change the Local Folders maildir folder/path there ? For example to /home/serge/Mail.

It does not. It starts to create 'file:' inside $HOME and repeat the structure there. Just as I wrote in original post.

What I meant is that it does not create a cur/ new/ and other file structure inside ~/Mail. The directory stays empty and seen inactive in kmail, although akonadiconsole says it is online, active and ready.

vomus
Registered Member

Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:03 pm
vomus wrote:What I meant is that it does not create a cur/ new/ and other file structure inside ~/Mail. The directory stays empty and seen inactive in kmail, although akonadiconsole says it is online, active and ready.

Did not notice it but akonadi created cur/ new/ and tmp/ not inside ~/Mail but under ~/Desktop!! It seems working with directories is seriously broken there.

zebulon
Registered Member
OS

Mon Jan 31, 2022 5:48 pm
I had the same problem. The "file:/home/..." directory is introduced by the akonadi console. This is how I solved it:
    - Stop akonadi
    - Remove the entire file:/home tree
    - Edit ~/.config/akonadi_maildir_resource_0rc and specify the proper path name
    - Restart akonadi