This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

KMail cannot launch external editor

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
vbulash
Registered Member

KMail cannot launch external editor

Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:59 am
I want to use OpenOffice 3.0 Writer as the external mail composer for KMail.
For that I do the following:
  1. In KMail settings I entered the following command line for external editor:
    Code: Select all
    soffice -writer -nologo %f
    . It works well in console, thus I expect correct work in KMail.
  2. Then create new message and start typing.
  3. Message about non-existent file in tmp folder appeared. Writer didn't call at all :-(
The same for replies / forwards.
What's wrong?
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
It is probably because OpenOffice forks itself automatically, so KMail thinks you are finished ( when you haven't even started ) and thus reads, then deletes the file. You may also run into the issue of compatibility, because I do not think Writer is yet designed for use as a external email composer ( you will probably need special switches for this behaviour )

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
vbulash
Registered Member
bcooksley wrote:It is probably because OpenOffice forks itself automatically, so KMail thinks you are finished ( when you haven't even started ) and thus reads, then deletes the file. You may also run into the issue of compatibility, because I do not think Writer is yet designed for use as a external email composer ( you will probably need special switches for this behaviour )

You're right!
Replacement OOO Writer by kwrite - works fine!
Now I'll try to write script that will catch temporary file before its deletion...