This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

GPG Issues with Kwallet and Kleopatra

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Nereus42
Registered Member
Hi, I'm having various issues that I believe are related to kleopatra or the gpg-agent or some sort of gnugp configuration problem.

Kleopatra - I can use the kleopatra gui to sign and encrypt a file using one of my keys. I can then unencrypt it during that same session, but not after logging out or rebooting. If I attempt to do so in a new session I get the following message
Code: Select all
gpg: encrypted with 3072-bit RSA key, ID mykeyid, created 2021-04-02
      "me <email@email.com>"
gpg: public key decryption failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device
gpg: decryption failed: No secret key

I can decrypt the file in the terminal with
gpg -d filename.gpg
just fine across sessions, just not from the kleopatra gui.

Kwallet - if I create a new key in kwallet and choose the gpg encryption option instead of the blowfish option, I get a similar message.
Error when attempting to decrypt the wallet kdewallet1 using GPG. If you're using a SmartCard, please ensure it's inserted then try again.
GPG error was Inappropriate ioctl for device

I also have an issue with Proton-bridge for Protonmail which relies on gpg encryption, where it won't save login credentials properly with the following error
Failure: failed to create user: failed to load user credentials: exit status 2: gpg: decryption key failed: No secret key

I have another computer running the same OS but with Gnome and I am not having issues there, which makes me think it could be kde related.

I have seen similiar "ioctl" issues mentioned after searching online but didn't find a solution there, specifically https://d.sb/2016/11/gpg-inappropriate-ioctl-for-device-errors actually those loopback commands made it so I couldn't unencrypt from the cli either saying something about "batch mode".

Any assistance, including if I should be asking this elsewhere is appreciated, thanks!
domson
Registered Member
OS
Hi Nereus42,

I guess you solved this issue meanwhile. can you give me any hints, accept switching away from kwallet?

cheers

domson

The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't.Douglas Adams