This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Unread messages in KMail trash

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
private_lock
Registered Member

Unread messages in KMail trash

Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:20 pm
Hello!

For some time now I've been wondering, why KMail insists, I have unread messages in my recycle bin?

This happens, whenever I only briefly look at a message and delete it. Actually it is a wanted feature, that my messages change status to "read" only when I look at them for 10 seconds. But moving those messages to trash should be hint enough that I'm done with them. I don't want them to further attract my attention by being "new", especially if I previously decide their fate in less than 10 seconds.

What I was looking for is a switch to mark the trashcan as "cannot contain new".

So far I came up with an old bug. It has been closed as "works_for_me". Now I've been hunting all properties and preferences up and down for where this guy found the checkbox "Ignore new mail in this folder".

Has this feature been removed since KMail 1.6.1? Why?
I'm currently running KMail 1.9.10 in KDE 3.5.10: Can you please point me in the right direction?

Thanks
private_lock
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

RE: Unread messages in KMail trash

Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:50 am
The only thing I can seem to find is in the folder General properties "Act on new / unread messages in this folder". However that does not seem correct. if that is not what you are after I would recommend filing a feature request for KDE 4.3 ( if the feature is already present then perhaps it will show the devs that it is not immediately obvious )

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
private_lock
Registered Member

Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:11 am
Hello!

I further investigated and thoroughly searched the bug-system and came up with more related bugs. It seems the feature was there 4 years ago but vanished.

If there are more people interested, I recommend voting / commenting on that bug, to bring it to the developers attention.

Thank you bcooksley!

I wonder if the KDE 4.x version of KMail also lacks this feature ... has anyone installed it and could please check? BTW: Was that a complete rewrite?

CU
private_lock
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:19 am
Just for your information, I use KDE 4.2 ( trunk ). I didn't see the setting at first glance, so it is still probably hidden away somewhere ( or not present )

Last edited by bcooksley on Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
foolosophy
Registered Member

Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:16 pm
I believe it works now. At least in KMail 1.11.0, if I uncheck the box that says "Act on new / unread messages in this folder", then the unread messages from that folder don't get counted in the total unread messages count.
beermad
Registered Member
OS

Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:50 pm
private_lock wrote:Hello!

For some time now I've been wondering, why KMail insists, I have unread messages in my recycle bin?

This happens, whenever I only briefly look at a message and delete it. Actually it is a wanted feature, that my messages change status to "read" only when I look at them for 10 seconds. But moving those messages to trash should be hint enough that I'm done with them. I don't want them to further attract my attention by being "new", especially if I previously decide their fate in less than 10 seconds.

Try

Settings -> Misc
Make sure "Mark selected message as read after" is checked and set it to 0 seconds.
Then your message will be marked as read as soon as you look at it.

irina_r
Alumni
OS

Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:51 am
beermad wrote:
private_lock wrote:Hello!

Try

Settings -> Misc
Make sure "Mark selected message as read after" is checked and set it to 0 seconds.
Then your message will be marked as read as soon as you look at it.

The OP said "Actually it is a wanted feature" suggesting that they don't want to set it to 0 seconds; they only want any message they move to trash to be marked read. There ought to be a setting, default or configurable, that marks everything read that's moved to trash, even within those however-many seconds that the user has set for marking something read.