This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Kontact is unable to show gmail calendar and contacts

Tags: kontact, gmail, calendar, contacts kontact, gmail, calendar, contacts kontact, gmail, calendar, contacts
(comma "," separated)
NerOscuro
Registered Member
OS
Hello,
I had to return my laptop to service it and I needed to remove all my home folder with personal data just for security purpose.
I used backintime to restore my home folder and everything seemed to work well with the notable exception of Kontact.
I had a bad time trying to make my gmail accounts to work again 'cause it was not possible to use the gmail authentication method and I had to resort to third party app passwords.
What is impossible to me it is to restore my contacts and my calendar on my gmail accounts inside Kontact.
I'm asked to authenticate myself using gmail authentication method (this time it seems to work, ie.: Firefox opens and google asks for my login and for a confirmation on my phone), but when I complete the procedure, nothing appears in calendar and in contact tabs.
I'm using Debian Unstable, KDE plasma 5.23.5 and KDE PIM 5.18.1
allanmills
Registered Member
OS
This reply is just to say that your problem may not be specific to the circumstance of having made the changes to your laptop that you reference. My own Kontact stopped syncing with Google yesterday - it has done this before, usually (I think) when Google has done something to their API or the part of their software that allows Kontact to communicate. However, in the past, I have usually been able to restart Akonadi or Kontact to restore a working connection.

Of course, your own problem may indeed be related to the specifics of your system and what you had to do. I just wanted to say that it might be something outside your system, however. Good luck to us both!

I'm using an Arch-based system with Kontact 5.19.1, KDE Frameworks 5.90.0, QT 5.15.2.
NerOscuro
Registered Member
OS
Maybe it's something related to Google services, but just to be sure, I started from 0 with a new test account on KDE and found that the Gmail authentication method works (just for setting up IMAP email addresses) i.e.: my browser opens and it asks for double confirmation with Gmail login and then my phone.
What it's still not working is Calendar and Contacts. Surely something is not going as expected if a certain behavior is not happening in a old account but in a new one. It might depend on some misconfiguration, but it's not easy to find the problem source since resetting Akonadi and Kontact removing their folders and files inside .local/share/ and .config is not enough.
richarson
Registered Member
OS
FWIW last week I noticed that I can't send emails via Gmail anymore, receiving via POP3 works fine though.

So yes, Gmail stops working from time to time, I don't know what to do (except leaving Gmail once and for all, but that's just me).

Cheers,
NerOscuro
Registered Member
OS
More and more bug reports suggests that there has been a change in Google API's to access contacts and calendar and still none at KDE has had the time to fix the involved library to make Kontact work again with google accounts.
That's sad, I dont' love big G and probably these changes in API are not fair play Vs other email clients, but where I live google it's still the best email provider: for me Kontact+gmail was a perfect combo for years. I hope KDE developers are going to fix this.
opsman
Registered Member
I am also having a problem getting Kontact set up in KDE Neon 5.24. I can get it to show the calendar in KOrganiser and the mail in KMail but it will not show the Contacts in KAddress Book. Bizarrely I can access the contacts database in Kmail to send emails to my contacts, so it is in there somewhere but will not display as an address book in either Kontact or KAddress Book. I am relatively new to Linux and thought the idea of an integrated PIM suite sounded great but it will not work with Google at the moment.
Does anyone have a solution?
cartes
Registered Member
Hi,

Same problem to have gmail calendar with korganizer or kalendar

in a konsole there is :
org.kde.kgapi: Bad request, Google replied ' "Contacts API is being deprecated. Migrate to People API to retain programmatic access to Google Contacts. See https://developers.google.com/people/co ... -migration. '
org.kde.pim.google: Got error: KGAPI2::ContactsGroupFetchJob(0x5584c899d500) "Requête incorrecte."

I think the bug report is here
https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=449079
opsman
Registered Member
Hi,

Not sure why but my Google Calendar is showing in both KOrganiser and the calendar in the taskbar, linked to the default Digital clock.

It is just the Contacts that will not show up in KAddress Book or Kontact.

I looked in Online Accounts, where I had entered my Gmail account, but the only option it shows me is to be able to post on You Tube!

How do we report this to the KDE Developers to see if there is a solution?
telliott
Registered Member
I used Kalendar but since it stopped working, I installed Kontact. I have no interest in a local email app. I was just installing it to be able to manage appointments with my Google account so they would show up on the Digital clock widget and my Android phone. Since Kontact isn't showing these appointments, it's useless to me except the backent, which works with the widget. To add appointments, the Google Calendar web interface is actually pretty good so I'll be using that.

It works fairly easily for me till my preferred app, Kalendar is fixed.