This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

emails with too many recipients rejected by mailer-daemon

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
erikmartre
Registered Member
OS
Hi everybody,

I am using Kmail as a mail client for a mailbox related to a personal website ; when I try to send a mail with many recipients, it is often rejected by the mailer daemon of the web host with the message "message has lines too long for transport".

A member of the team at the web hosting company told me that the line in question was probably the one with the recipients' adresses, which is expected to be less than 1000 characters. I noticed on the source of a rejected message that there was actually a unique line for the adresses and that it was much more than 1000 characters ; apparently Kmail did not insert new lines.

Does my observation match the behaviour of Kmail, and if it is the case is there a way to change it ? I know that I can choose the line length in the message itself, but I didn't find anything of that kind for the recipients' adresses.

Thanks !
Erik
richarson
Registered Member
OS
I think a newline in the To: field is not supported by the email standards. In that case there's not much kmail can do.

I guess your options would be to

- put some addresses in the CC: and/or BCC: fields.
- send several emails to fewer recipients

Cheers,