This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

No desktop notifications are show for calendar events

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
thebluequasar
Registered Member
OS
Hello,
I use a system with KDE Plasma and Ubuntu base, and I don't get any kind of reminders for calendar events from KDE PIM apps. I tried creating an event with a reminder in Kalendar, KOrganizer and Kontact, and for both calendars from an online account and for a local, offline calendar. I get nothing at the time when I should be notified for the event, and while Akonadi was running, too. Although I do get notifications for emails from the KMail app.
Has anyone else experienced something similar? Is this a bug or possibly a misconfiguration on my system?
Any help is greatly appreciated
chiefbromden
Registered Member
OS
thebluequasar
Registered Member
OS
Thank you for replying. I took a look at that thread, but My Plasma version is the latest stable release, and I think this is a different issue. Because when I go to the “configure applications” section in notification setting, Kalendar and KOrganizer aren't there among apps that can deliver notifications, even though they are installed.
Here's a screenshot: https://imgur.com/a/l9JrjaH
Is this perhaps a bug? Because I doubt this could be due to missing packages. I'd appreciate it if anyone could give any further ideas on what could be wrong.
chiefbromden
Registered Member
OS
According to this comment, the remainder daemon (korgac) has been replaced by kalendarac three months ago. Taking a look to the debian repo confirms the comment.
Judging by the name of the last release of kalendarac (kalendarac_22.04.3-2_amd64.deb), maybe it will be included on the next minor version of Korganizer.

I forgot to mention, I have no korgac or kalendarac daemons on my system with korganizer installed. You can check it with:
Code: Select all
systemctl status kalendarac

And if you want to check the version of korganizer:
korganizer --version

That's all I can help you, from now on goes beyond my knowledge, maybe someone with more expertise can give you a hand.

UPDATE: This commit on the Korganizer repo definitely confirms the migration, but it was 5 mounths ago. My mistake.
thebluequasar
Registered Member
OS
Thank you, you've certainly helped a lot. I think now, and with the information you've given, I can at least file a bug report that might help the devs figure out what is wrong.
thebluequasar
Registered Member
OS
I've finally found out what was wrong, and here it goes: The module responsible for delivering KDE PIM calendar notifications is apparently “Kalendarac” and in order to run, the “libkf5akonadicalendar-bin” needs to be installed. It was not installed on my system even though I had installed Kalendar and KOrganizer, so I assume that's because it's not marked as a dependency for Kalendar and any of its related/dependent packages. After I installed it manually, the “Kalendarac” process is running when akonadi is running, and desktop notifications are handled without a problem.
I reported a bug here so that this package would be marked as a dependency for Kalendar and KOrganizer on KDE Neon: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=458790
chiefbromden
Registered Member
OS
Hi.
I'm glad you fix the problem, and thanks for taking the time to post the solution you found.

So, to confirm the solution:
apt install libkf5akonadicalendar-bin

no necessary steps involved?

Thanks again.
thebluequasar
Registered Member
OS
chiefbromden wrote: So, to confirm the solution:
apt install libkf5akonadicalendar-bin

no necessary steps involved?

Yes, that ought to fix the issue, as long as it's caused by the Reminder Daemon; Kalendarac, not being present on a system.
gohrner
Registered Member
thebluequasar wrote:I've finally found out what was wrong, and here it goes: The module responsible for delivering KDE PIM calendar notifications is apparently “Kalendarac” and in order to run, the “libkf5akonadicalendar-bin” needs to be installed.

Thanks, that was the solution - I'm also using Neon and was wondering about the non-working reminders.