This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

KMail POP3 problems

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
simondawson
Registered Member

KMail POP3 problems  Topic is solved

Wed Nov 16, 2022 4:06 pm
Hi all

I have been using Kontact/Kmail for many many years now but have recently hit a problem that I cannot resolve. I had been trying to optimise the speed as KMail had been slowing down to a crawl and before I found the solution, I had moved identities, akonadi etc around in .config and .share

I found the "easy" solution to speeding up Kmail (increase Innodb buffer from the measly 128M) but now I cannot get my POP3 account to reconnect to my mail servers.

I have searched and searched for a solution but cannot find anything.

Running
Code: Select all
dbus-launch kmail

starts Kmail with no problems and it is now very responsive with the buffer size now up to to 1GB.
However when I try and retrieve POP3 emails I get the following:
Code: Select all
org.kde.pim.pop3resource: "Unable to login to the server \"MY.EMAIL.SERVER\".\nCould not login to my_email_server. The password may be wrong.\n\nThe server said: \"MX_RECORD_FOR_DOMAIN Syntax error, command unrecognized: EMAIL_PASSWORD\""

where
MY.EMAIL.SERVER is my POP3 mail server
MX_RECORD_FOR_DOMAIN is one of the MX records for my domain
EMAIL_PASSWORD is being quoted back in the error message.

I have deleted all POP3 accounts and recreated but it still won't work when I recreate my main email account. The password has also changed to see if that would cure the problem. I have tried various solutions found online (stop akonadi, change port and SSL/TLS and STARTTLS, then set back to proper port; check and remove various identities in .config etc).

I have tried another email address using the same email service provider and that works without any problem. Uses all the same credentials/ports/methods etc so there is not a problem connecting to my service provider - just a different address and password.

I have also downloaded Thunderbird and set the account up (the one that isn't working on KMail) on that and it worked with the same credentials.

Therefore with these tests, I think it shows the problem is with KDE/KMail/Kontact. It was working before I fiddled (why did I?).

KMail version 5.21.1 (22.08.1)
Distro: Neon

Are credentials being cached anywhere? Are old passwords being cached? Are connections being persisted somehow?

Anybody got any ideas?
simondawson
Registered Member

RESOLVED Re: KMail POP3 problems

Thu Nov 17, 2022 11:02 am
I have resolved the problem. Still not sure whether it was a KDE/Kontact/KMail issue or whether it was with the service provider.

My email account was set up with MFA/OTP and therefore an "App" password was set. Although the App password was reset, it wasn't until I turned MFA off, that Kmail was able to connect to the mail server.
richarson
Registered Member
OS

Re: KMail POP3 problems

Sun Nov 20, 2022 3:32 pm
I'm glad that you were able to solve your problem, and thank you for the innodb buffer tip!

Can you mark this post as solved?
There's an option in the tools menu (or somewhere around here, I can never remember exactly where it is)
Another option would be modifying the post title, e.g. adding "[SOLVED]" in front of it.

Cheers and thanks again!