This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

new incoming mail in kmail not deletable for about 1 minute

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
mma
Registered Member
Hello
i have the following phenomenon which seems to get more and more:
After downloading new email in kmail i can not delete or move the email into a other local folder.
I have to wait about 1/2 a minute until 1 minute. This happens even if there a only a few new emails e.g. 5.
During this time i can switch between the emails to see their content. Only moving or deleting is not possible.
I too can hear the harddisk working. I have 16GB ram
In my local folder are about 16.000 emails. I already did a akonadictl fsk (without showing errors) and a fsck vacuum. i also rebuilded the database. Nothing helps. Always this partly freeze for 30 till 60 seconds when 1 want to delete or move email
kmail version is Version 5.19.3 (21.12.3) (openleap 15.4)
kde frameworks 5.90.0
qt version 5.15.2
self build kernel 5.19
processor core i7-10700
graphics: nvidia geforce rtx 2600/pcie/sse2
ram 16GB
harddisk 1TB (half full)

i suspect maria-db (dropin for mysql) could be optimized but how?

Thanks for any advice
regards Michael
richarson
Registered Member
OS
Hi,

I noticed it too, I think it's the indexer and/or filter agents doing their job and the UI won't update right away.
Usually, after a minute the emails get deleted/moved without me doing it again (and if I repeatedly try to delete/move an email, later I get a popup saying something about that email can't be deleted/moved/found).

I don't remember where (this forum maybe?) but I optimized akonadi's mysql a bit with this option in ~/.local/share/akonadi/mysql.conf (stop akonadi, edit the file, adjust the parameter to the desired size, start akonadi again):

Code: Select all
innodb_buffer_pool_size = 1G

But that helped mostly when entering a folder with lots of emails, the indexer I believe uses Xapian and not mysql.

Cheers,
mma
Registered Member
Ok thanks for the advice. I changed it and will observe it now

regards
Michael
mma
Registered Member
Well i observed it about 3 weeks now but today it happened again.
Despite buffer being set to 1GB i got about 6 emails today and it froze again for about 1/2 a minute.

mma wrote:Ok thanks for the advice. I changed it and will observe it now

regards
Michael