This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Kmail (and other PIM applications) wont launch

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
lawnguyagain
Registered Member
Simply ran pkcon update, rebooted and now I'm unable to launch Kmail (or Kaddressbook, korganizer) with the following error:

Code: Select all
kmail: error while loading shared libraries: libKF5TextAutoCorrection.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I've looked high and low and cannot find where this library would be included. Anyone have any ideas in leu of doing a completely fresh install on top of it?
iookde
Registered Member
Same here I just upgraded to 5.27.5 with Discover and Kontact is broken after the upgrade. There appears to be a missing library. I tried reinstalling the library and Kontact, they both reinstall okay without errors.

My post here: viewtopic.php?f=215&t=177687

Kontact is broken in this version. Any ideas how to get a hold or a developer? None of my bug report have even been answered and this forum is pretty dead. No one ever answers in the irc channel.
lawnguyagain
Registered Member
Just saw the new forum banner, will try asking there. Might be a bug report worth, althought I'd be shocked if a bad build made it out and there isnt more chatter.
iookde
Registered Member
Exact same experience as you, I upgraded and now it won't launch.

I have opened a bug report, I have been troubleshooting it for around and hour. You can see the progress here: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=469599. There is a library package that Kontact depends on, apt says the package is installed properly however the acutall library file is missing from the disk. I believe this is the cause of the problem.

Here is the bug report. Please comment on it if you can, it might help draw attention to the issue.
iookde
Registered Member
lawnguyagain wrote:Simply ran pkcon update, rebooted and now I'm unable to launch Kmail (or Kaddressbook, korganizer) with the following error:

Code: Select all
kmail: error while loading shared libraries: libKF5TextAutoCorrection.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I've looked high and low and cannot find where this library would be included. Anyone have any ideas in leu of doing a completely fresh install on top of it?

Fresh install won't help. I tried installing the libarary package and Kontact, both reinstall fine, the actual file is missing from the library package. I believe this is the root cause.
lawnguyagain
Registered Member
Thanks for getting that bug report out. I'll respond to that bug report. Seeing the same on my end, looks like a package is missing a library.
iookde
Registered Member
lawnguyagain wrote:J althought I'd be shocked if a bad build made it out and there isnt more chatter.

Curious, aside from this forum, where do you see KDE chatter? I find a major downside of using KDE is that it is quite isolating. None of my bug reports have ever been assigned or addressed but the bug go one from version to version and last for years. I have never seen another live person in the irc chat. This forum never had a lot of users and is apparently closing soon.

I saw one reddit user mention that using KDE software is like shouting into the wind and that made me lol because i can relate. It seems everyone else is using the "other" GUI which seems to have active communities on all the social platforms.

Maybe im not looking in the right places but where is the KDE community?
lawnguyagain
Registered Member
iookde wrote:
lawnguyagain wrote:J althought I'd be shocked if a bad build made it out and there isnt more chatter.

Curious, aside from this forum, where do you see KDE chatter?

Reddit and randomly searching the web. I think I'm in the same boat as you.
claydoh
Registered Member
OS
Try installing ktextaddons. It should hopefully get rid of the error messaging, but there still might be other issues related to this.

The issue is being addressed, as it seems kdepim needs to be rebuilt against the new version of this, so a full fix should be forthcoming.

claydoh, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct, and KDE user since 2001
bruno666
Registered Member
OS