This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

KMail problem

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
rezgaras
Registered Member

KMail problem

Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:20 am
I started with a new PC and installed Mandiva 2009 with KDE 3.5. On the old PC there was a Mandriva 2008.0 with KDE 3.5. The new one uses KMail 4.1.2. the old one was using KMail 3.5.7.

I have copied all KMail setups from old to new one. Receiving Mails goes perfectly, but sending hangs. Always when trying to send mails I get an error message instead:

"An error occurred during authentication: SASL(-4): no mechanism available: No worthy mechs found"

After searching in other forums I also installed "cyrus-sasl", but it does not help. Thus I can not use KMail to send e-mails.

Any idea?

-----
Another question: is there any straightforward method to copy KMail local archives from the old machine to the new one? The simple copying into the same directory (~/Mail) did not help, it messed up everything. A working way is to copy them back to the IMAP server and download them to the new machine. This is very slow and can only be done one-by-one due to server quota limitations.

Is there a better way? If not, why? The KMail local archive directories seem to me extremely complicated for the task they perform... :-(

rezgaras, a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct., Linux user since 1999.
michael4910
Alumni
OS

RE: KMail problem

Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:34 am
For your second question: I was quite successful with using KMail's (KDE4, though) import functionality. Probably simplier that copy them back to the mail server... ;-)

There is another thread here in the forum about backupping* KMail's or Kontact's settings/mails... Perhaps it has the answers you need...

* btw: what is it? "backing up"? "backuping"? "backupping"? :-/

michael4910, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
sayakb
Administrator
OS

Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:48 am
What is your Email service provider?
Say, for gmail, goto Settings -> Configure KMail -> Accounts -> Sending -> Add
Type in host as smtp.gmail.com, port = 587. Choose "Encryption" as TLS.
In the "Advanced tab", enable "Server requires authentication", enter you login name and password.
Save the settings and try sending a mail again.

rezgaras
Registered Member

Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:56 am
LinuxIsInnovation wrote:What is your Email service provider?

It is a company mail server.

The setup button "Check what the server supports" was working, wanted TLS with NTLM Authentication. But I also tried with LOGIN Authentication. Both with the same error message.

sayakb
Administrator
OS

Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:58 am
Usually TLS and/or SSL work for majority of ESPs. Have you used mail forwarding with your company mail server ID with some other client?

rezgaras
Registered Member

Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:16 am
LinuxIsInnovation wrote:Usually TLS and/or SSL work for majority of ESPs. Have you used mail forwarding with your company mail server ID with some other client?

You mean mail sending? I connect the company SMTP mail server, usual Port 25. I use KMail for many years. (Thunderbird is extremely slow when accessing from another Linux PC)

TeaAge
Alumni
OS

Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:13 am
Hey,

I had quite the same problems. You need to install some sasl Packages.
Here they are mentiond:
http://suse-linux-faq.koehntopp.de/q/q- ... _sasl.html

(it's a german page but you will find the package list, i think ;) )

The packages have a quite similar names in Mandriva and SuSE ... if you have problems to find the right, report it here. If I am at home later this day, I can name them exactly.

Regards,
TeaAge

TeaAge, very proud KDE 4 User and to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Nov.
rezgaras
Registered Member

Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:23 am
TeaAge wrote:I had quite the same problems. You need to install some sasl Packages.
Here they are mentiond:
http://suse-linux-faq.koehntopp.de/q/q- ... _sasl.html

(it's a german page but you will find the package list, i think ;) )

The packages have a quite similar names in Mandriva and SuSE ... if you have problems to find the right, report it here. If I am at home later this day, I can name them exactly.

I have installed cyrus-sasl already. Mandriva contains only one rpm (cyrus-sasl-2.1.22-29mdv2009.0.i586.rpm) for this. Did not help, though.

Do this sasl package need some kind of configuration? Does KMail automatically recognize its presence?

TeaAge
Alumni
OS

Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:33 am
You need more than this one package.
You need also:
libsasl2-plug-plain-2.1.22-29mdv2009.0.i586.rpm
libsasl2-plug-digestmd5-2.1.22-29mdv2009.0.i586.rpm
libsasl2-plug-crammd5-2.1.22-29mdv2009.0.i586.rpm
libsasl2-plug-gssapi-2.1.22-29mdv2009.0.i586.rpm

I think ... if not, I will look at home for this. Try to search for 'plain', 'digestmd5', 'crammd5' and 'gassapi' in the package manager.

KMail will recognize its presence, yes ... you don't need to manipulate any files.

Regards,
TeaAge

rezgaras
Registered Member

Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:34 am
michael4910 wrote:For your second question: I was quite successful with using KMail's (KDE4, though) import functionality. Probably simplier that copy them back to the mail server... ;-)

Well, as I understood, in Mandriva 2009.0 even if you use KDE 3.5 most components (like KMail) are KDE 4.1 versions. Probably this is the reason for my problems...

The import function has messed up the archive directories. In addition it has a strange feature: from its selection window it is not clear if it starts to import files or directories or both. Thus it started to import files that were no KMail files!!! (and reformatted them as KMail archives!) In opposite, it does not recognize hidden directories (like .kde) which makes the import a pain.

There is another thread here in the forum about backupping* KMail's or Kontact's settings/mails... Perhaps it has the answers you need...

Thanks, I take a look at it.

TeaAge
Alumni
OS

Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:52 am
To your other Problem.
KMail 4 saves the emails in ~/.kde4/share/apps/kmail/mail

as far as I know.
Or can you import them with the Import-Function in the Menu?

Regards,
TeaAge

rezgaras
Registered Member

Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:39 pm
TeaAge wrote:You need more than this one package.
You need also:
libsasl2-plug-plain-2.1.22-29mdv2009.0.i586.rpm
libsasl2-plug-digestmd5-2.1.22-29mdv2009.0.i586.rpm
libsasl2-plug-crammd5-2.1.22-29mdv2009.0.i586.rpm
libsasl2-plug-gssapi-2.1.22-29mdv2009.0.i586.rpm

I think ... if not, I will look at home for this. Try to search for 'plain', 'digestmd5', 'crammd5' and 'gassapi' in the package manager.

KMail will recognize its presence, yes ... you don't need to manipulate any files.

I have installed all these above and even rebooted after, but still no result.

Thanks,[hr]

SUCCESS!!!

I also installed the following rpms:

libsasl2-plug-login-2.1.22-29mdv2009.0.i586.rpm
libsasl2-plug-anonymous-2.1.22-29mdv2009.0.i586.rpm
libsasl2-plug-ntlm-2.1.22-29mdv2009.0.i586.rpm
libsasl2-plug-otp-2.1.22-29mdv2009.0.i586.rpm

And now it works. I do not know which one above made it, though. Perhaps the "plug-login"...

Thanks for your hints![hr]
TeaAge wrote:To your other Problem.
KMail 4 saves the emails in ~/.kde4/share/apps/kmail/mail

Thanks. The KMail 3 was storing in ~/Mail (perhaps it asked for the destination long time ago)

as far as I know.
Or can you import them with the Import-Function in the Menu?

Yes, this is I did. This Import button there seems to start a rather complicated and intelligent program. Perhaps TOO intelligent...

Thanks,

Last edited by rezgaras on Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.