This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Unanswered messages disappear upon new start of kmail/kontact

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
dengxiao
Registered Member
Hi guys,

I have actually a very strange problem with kmail/kontact.

After messing around with some config files it turns out that unanswered and opened messages in kmail are not gonna be opened after a restart. I really appreciated this feature since it helped me to remember which emails to be answered upon a restart of kmail.

For instance, I got an email which is not very urgent but should be replied, I always choose reply and left the window open. After the next start of kmail the same message opened up and so I knew which one still to be answered.

My System :

Kubuntu Hardy 8.04
Kontact 1.29
Kmail 1.9.10
KDE 3.5.10

Is there anybody can help me out ?

Cheers,

Dengxiao
sayakb
Administrator
OS
Close all KMail instances.
Look inside /usr/kde//share/config or /usr/share/kde3/config or /usr/share/kde/config for file kmailrc
Say if you find the file in /use/share/kde3/config, at konsole, type:
Code: Select all
cd /usr/share/kde3/config && sudo mv kmailrc kmailrc_old

Now launch KMail again.

dengxiao
Registered Member
LinuxIsInnovation wrote:Close all KMail instances.
Look inside /usr/kde//share/config or /usr/share/kde3/config or /usr/share/kde/config for file kmailrc
Say if you find the file in /use/share/kde3/config, at konsole, type:
cd /usr/share/kde3/config && sudo mv kmailrc kmailrc_old

Now launch KMail again.

Hi,

just checked the default settings of KDE which are for Kubuntu Hardy in "/usr/share/kubuntu-default-settings/kde-profile/default/share/config" and moved kmailrc to kmailrc_old. However this didn't helped to solve my problem. It seems this settings are only used as a kind of defaults in case kde is started the first time i.e by adding a new user.

Any more suggestions ?

Thanks in advance.............
sayakb
Administrator
OS
I don't know if this is distro specific or this is absent in versions older than KMail 1.10.92, but have you tried the "Defaults" button in the settings window. You can click on each category and hit Defaults to revert them to the original settings.

dengxiao
Registered Member
LinuxIsInnovation wrote:I don't know if this is distro specific or this is absent in versions older than KMail 1.10.92, but have you tried the "Defaults" button in the settings window. You can click on each category and hit Defaults to revert them to the original settings.

Hi,

reverting all settings to default seems not help as well.
I am really a kind of desperate in this moment.

Any more suggestions ?

Thanks........
sayakb
Administrator
OS
As for me, I have a qt4 version of KMail, so I don't know how far I can help. Try purging and reinstalling kmail:
sudo apt-get purge kmail && sudo apt-get install kmail

Now since I did not lose my messages in inbox when I did that with thunderbird once, I am not sure what KMail would do. But it's safe to make a copy of the contents in /home//.kde/share/apps/kmail/mail/inbox/cur as well as everything in the mail folder. If you lose your mail, you can simply copy them back.
You can also save your important mails in mbox format and later import them using KMailCVT (Kmail import utility)

dengxiao
Registered Member
LinuxIsInnovation wrote:As for me, I have a qt4 version of KMail, so I don't know how far I can help. Try purging and reinstalling kmail:
sudo apt-get purge kmail && sudo apt-get install kmail

Now since I did not lose my messages in inbox when I did that with thunderbird once, I am not sure what KMail would do. But it's safe to make a copy of the contents in /home//.kde/share/apps/kmail/mail/inbox/cur as well as everything in the mail folder. If you lose your mail, you can simply copy them back.
You can also save your important mails in mbox format and later import them using KMailCVT (Kmail import utility)

Hi,

yep, I guess the only way is to delete all config files, by exporting the complete inbox to an mbox file in the first place. Afterwards configure kmail from ground up and import the mbox file. However, it's quite a big job since I am using the current setup already for 3 years........

Anyway, thanks for trying to help me out.