This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Duplicate korganizer Resources

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
rulls
Registered Member
OS

Duplicate korganizer Resources

Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:22 am
Can anyone explain what causes the appearance of duplicate instances of the same default resource in the calendars list box in the Calendar (and Journal) modules in Kontact? There are two instances of "Default KOrganizer resource" shown in the "Calendars" box, and the properties of each points to the same "std.ics" file.

I use openSUSE, currently ver. 11.1 with KDE 4.1. I've seen this problem come and go through various versions of openSUSE since ver. 10.2. I'm looking for some feedback before I delete the list box entry or the underlying resource file, in case I'm at risk of creating further problem.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.
anda_skoa
KDE Developer
OS

RE: Duplicate korganizer Resources

Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:28 pm
I have read other reports like this but never have it experienced myself.

Maybe some kind of KDE3->KDE4 (distributionspecific?) Updateprocess creating a double entry.

Anyway, deleting a resource does not delete the associated file, so no risk there.

Cheers,
_

anda_skoa, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
rulls
Registered Member
OS

Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:54 pm
Thank you for your reply.

Is there some sort of underlying KOrganizer configuration file in which configured resources are recorded? I take it that I can just add or delete resources in the user interface, but since there is apparently some sort of problem here that could lead to redundant entries in the calendar or journal, I'd like to be able to track the effects of those actions on the source configuration data.

You might duplicate the problem on a test system with a clean install of the latest openSUSE, 11.1. I have observed the problem in multiple instances, always clean installs (not OS updates), under both KDE 3.x, and now, 4.x. Perhaps always under openSUSE; not sure I ever saw the problem in a Kubuntu system.

This seems like a rather petty problem at first glance, but as I try to promote Linux and KDE to my yet-to-be-converted associates, this sort of issue undermines confidence in the quality of the software.

Thank you.
anda_skoa
KDE Developer
OS

Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:43 pm
The resource config is in .kde/share/config/kresources and subdirectory depending on resource type, e.g. calendar

You can also change it from systemsettings, advanced tab

Cheers,
_

anda_skoa, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.