This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Laptop<-->Pc synchronisation (kmail)

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Necromant
Registered Member
OS
Hi all. I'm looking for any avaliable scripts or software that will allow me to sync kmail between my pc and laptop.
If there is no such thing I wonder if anyone can clarify to me the structure of ~/.kde4/share/apps/kmail. Espesially how the read|unread statuses are stored, etc, so that I can write a simple piece of software,
While now I have already made up a kopete log merging script, that I'm currently using (http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show.ph ... tent=86804). (Will still have clear it up a bit and make more intuitive, but nevertheless)
EDIT: Okay, the structure was pretty simple, just didn't notice the hodden dirs there at first. So let's put the question in that way: any simple way to merge indexes, or call kmail or something to recreate the indexes for just specified folders?

Last edited by Necromant on Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
The best way ( and safest for your data ) to do this would probably be by using a IMAP server installed on either machine, and specify the other machine to use that machine. You would use a Disconnected IMAP configuration for this purpose.

If you already have a POP account that you are downloading from, then you just specify a filter in KMail to move all newly recieved mail to your email address to a folder in the IMAP account.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
Necromant
Registered Member
OS
Thanks for the reply. I was considering imap for some time, but I have no idea how to move quite a huge amount of mail (already sorted in a dozen of folders) to the imap server, preserving the whole structure. Besides, i get most mail from pop3 server, where there is still no imap support (yep, in the 21st century :-) ). Therefore while now I'm digging kmail sources.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
If you right click on an existing folder in KMail, then there is a "Copy Folder To" menu item, you can then just select a folder under your IMAP server to copy the entire existing folder, and all its contents to the selected folder.

With regards to the POP server, you can set up a "Filter" ( not POP Filter, or IMAP Filter, just Filter ) which moves new POP email into your IMAP Inbox if it is addressed to you.

Make sure to edit your KMail Identity to have the correct "Sent Mail", "Templates" and "Drafts" folders, and your POP account in KMail to use the correct Trash folder.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
Necromant
Registered Member
OS
bcooksley wrote:If you right click on an existing folder in KMail, then there is a "Copy Folder To" menu item, you can then just select a folder under your IMAP server to copy the entire existing folder, and all its contents to the selected folder.

With regards to the POP server, you can set up a "Filter" ( not POP Filter, or IMAP Filter, just Filter ) which moves new POP email into your IMAP Inbox if it is addressed to you.

Make sure to edit your KMail Identity to have the correct "Sent Mail", "Templates" and "Drafts" folders, and your POP account in KMail to use the correct Trash folder.

Thanks. I shall try that.