This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Is Akonadi stable?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
tils
Registered Member

Is Akonadi stable?

Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:40 am
Hello,

after an upgrade to 4.2rc1 the migration wizard ported my "oldschool" file resources to akonadi compatiblity resources.
Then I worked a few days with that resources and realized that deleting Items didn't work.
There were also a few Items away I changed in the last days before the migration.
A look into the akonadi config offered me that the file resources weren't assigned properly and I did assign them to the correct files.
That didn't help. I wasn't able to delete Items. Worst, it didn't save all of my modifications in these days. So I switched back and did assign the ressources to the files directly.
So here is my question: Is akonadi stable? Does anyone use it without any errors?
I defenetly want to use it because someone has to test it.
Perhaps it is an error in the OpenSUSE packages or somewhere else.

Greetings from germany
Michael
anda_skoa
KDE Developer
OS

RE: Is Akonadi stable?

Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:45 pm
The application plugins are not that good yet, which is why this part of the migration has been disabled for the 4.2 release.

The Akonadi resources, especially the native ones (i.e. not using the traditional plugins themselves) should be working correctly.
There have been a couple of fixes between RC and Release though.

The bridged ones (e.g. "traditional address book resource") depend quite a bit on the behavior of the traditional plugin they are using.
The one for contacts/address book is probably better than the one for calendar, since that plugin API is less complex.

Cheers,
_

anda_skoa, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
tils
Registered Member

Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:25 pm
anda_skoa wrote:The application plugins are not that good yet, which is why this part of the migration has been disabled for the 4.2 release.

The Akonadi resources, especially the native ones (i.e. not using the traditional plugins themselves) should be working correctly.
There have been a couple of fixes between RC and Release though.

The bridged ones (e.g. "traditional address book resource") depend quite a bit on the behavior of the traditional plugin they are using.
The one for contacts/address book is probably better than the one for calendar, since that plugin API is less complex.

Cheers,
_

Thanks a lot for this clarifications. Is there an option to switch to a native Akonadi Resource instead of using a compatible file resource?
If it is, can kopete read it too?

Cheers
Michael
anda_skoa
KDE Developer
OS

Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:32 pm
The automated migration tool actually chooses native resource when available, e.g. native vcard resource for vcf files previously accessed through the file plugin.

In SystemSettings -> Advanced Tag -> Akonadi Configuration they should show up with the name of the file rather than something like this "akonadi_kabc_resource_X"

Bascially the only native resources available right now are for local and remote vcard and ical files, all other forms of access still need to go through the compatibility resource :(

Basically most applications still use the traditional address book API, therefore can't access Akonadi directly and only through compatibility plugins.
Unless the idea is to experiement with Akonadi I would recommend against using them right now.

I have a couple of ideas that might get them working reliably for 4.2.1 but I can't promise anything. The applications unfortunately use the API in ways that can't be easily mapped onto the way Akonadi works.

Cheers,
_

anda_skoa, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.