This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Thawte certificate with kmail/kleopatra

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
dcrabs
Registered Member
OS
Hi everyone
I am trying to sign my emails with a free personal Thawte certificate. It was possible to import it into kleopatra but when I try to sign messages I can't select my own certificate. There is no error or crash whatsoever. It is just grey.
Any idea why this happens?
Thanks for ideas.
David

dcrabs, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
You may need to import it inside KMail itself, however my KDE PIM install is currently hosed, so I cannot tell you where it is, apart from it is in KMail > Configure KMail. Look for something like "Crypto"

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
dcrabs
Registered Member
OS
bcooksley wrote:You may need to import it inside KMail itself, however my KDE PIM install is currently hosed, so I cannot tell you where it is, apart from it is in KMail > Configure KMail. Look for something like "Crypto"

Well, I'll try to explain better.
In the tab you described I have lots of crypto settings in KMail > Configure Mail > Security and then several tabs. But in my opinion far to many settings that nobody will understand. The gui is totally cluttered with checkboxes, text and abbreviations that I have never seen before. And I'm interested in open source and security and use Linux for more then 10 years now. So on one hand I have no idea what to select and on the other I don't think it is there. The S/MIME back-end is selected btw.
However, in Identity settings are four fields which are for keys. When I try to select the key I got from thawte it is there but as soon as I click on it it becomes grey and invalid. The key works in firefox together with an encrypt addon for gmail. And I remember that kmail from KDE3 was able to use it, too.
It seems not many people are using it. Maybe there were more questions then or they got it working.
I can offer my help to clean the gui but I am not a programmer. Since I like to promote KDE4 it would be good to have a simple email configuration, too.
david

bcooksley
Administrator
OS
This is probably affected by the moving to Akonadi, waiting to break everything, but we haven't done it yet, just an initial port situation.

Most KDE PIM applications are currently faced with this issue, and many have to be completely rewritten for Akonadi.
If a bug does not already exist, it would be recommended to file one however.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
dcrabs
Registered Member
OS
bcooksley wrote:This is probably affected by the moving to Akonadi, waiting to break everything, but we haven't done it yet, just an initial port situation.

Most KDE PIM applications are currently faced with this issue, and many have to be completely rewritten for Akonadi.
If a bug does not already exist, it would be recommended to file one however.

Ok, I see what I can do to write a clear bug report. Just wanted to make sure it is not caused by a stupid user. :)
Anyway, I hope the advantage of akonadi will become clearer for me. So far I don't see the point of it.