This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

KMail send to myself not working

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
chriscrutch
Registered Member

KMail send to myself not working

Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:19 am
I have KMail set up to check, among others, my GMail account. I also have GMail set up as my default outgoing option. The trouble is, if I send myself a message from my GMail account to my GMail account through KMail, the message will never get downloaded by KMail.

The issue is not the sending, as I can get into GMail on the web and see the message just fine. If I send something with KMail to my GMail account using a secondary SMTP server, all goes well. If I use the web interface of GMail to send something to my GMail account, KMail gets that, too.

So, using Kmail, sending from GMail to GMail, then trying to download that message with KMail doesn't work. For that matter, even if I use Thunderbird to send from GMail to GMail, KMail won't get that, either, although TB will. Odd.

Thoughts? Thanks!

--chriscrutch
neverendingo
Administrator
OS

RE: KMail send to myself not working

Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:41 pm
Works for me here. Which version of KMail are you using? And are you using IMAP or POP? As you are talking about downloading i guess POP?

New to KDE Software? - get help from Userbase or ask questions on the Forums
Communicate.
chriscrutch
Registered Member
You're right, I'm using POP, and the KMail version is 1.10.1.

--chriscrutch

neverendingo wrote:Works for me here. Which version of KMail are you using? And are you using IMAP or POP? As you are talking about downloading i guess POP?
neverendingo
Administrator
OS
Hmm, after a bit of googling it seems this is not related to KMail. That seems to be the way gmail works with POP. This seems to have to do with the avoiding of duplicates (sent items and inbox).
However, you can either switch to imap or try this:
Set a new filter in gmail, to and from field should be your email, and then "move messages to inbox".
Hope that helps.

Communicate.
anda_skoa
KDE Developer
OS
This is basically a GMail "feature"

Since its web interface displays sent mails at the respective position in inbox threads, it filters out all actually received copies of such sent mails.

For example if you post to a mailinglist through GMail you won't get your mail back from the list server.
(Well, the list server does send it, but GMail nicely removes it for you).

There is probably an option in GMail's web interface to disable this.

Cheers,
_

anda_skoa, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
Damnshock
Registered Member
OS
anda_skoa wrote:There is probably an option in GMail's web interface to disable this.

Is there? Could you please point me where to look for?

Damnshock, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
anda_skoa
KDE Developer
OS
Damnshock wrote:
anda_skoa wrote:There is probably an option in GMail's web interface to disable this.

I have no idea, I guessed that there might be such an option.

If there isn't you could try a filter on out-going mails which creates a local copy in the right target folder.

Or use a mail provider with an actually working setup.

Cheers,
_

anda_skoa, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
Alec
Registered Member
OS
Why do you actually need it?

You have a copy of the email you sent to yourself in the sent-mail folder, and you have a copy of it in the Gmail web interface. Do you really need to be alerted whenever you sent an email to yourself? ;)

Get problems solved faster - get reply notifications through Jabber!
neverendingo
Administrator
OS
Damnshock wrote:

There is no such option, sadly. It is simply meant to be working this way. And as anda_skoa stated, as workaround you can try to set a filter or switch to imap, which works like expected.

Communicate.