This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Confirmations on Kontact's Instability?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
jwc
Registered Member
OS
Before I start hammering away at KDE's Bug Reporter, I thought that I would ask around to see if I'm the only one experiencing certain instability problems with Kontact.

For the record, I'm using Arch Linux with KDE 4.1.2. My system is a Dell XPS M1330 and my installation configuration is pretty standard. With the exception of the filter issue, the problems I have experienced have only occurred with KDE 4.1.x.

First of all, IMAP filters seem to be wreaking all sorts of havoc on my system. Sometimes they don't apply (similar to this report), sometimes they crash the program spontaneously, and when applied on multiple emails, Kontact consistently crashes (similar to this report). I have experienced this problem in KDE 3.x, too.

Second thing: recently, KMail stopped working and upon restarting it, all of my incoming mail accounts were lost (I'm guessing that the configuration became corrupted or something). I managed to restore my configuration, but the "Favorite Folders" panel seems to be acting funny. It used to report the number of new messages in parentheses right next to the folder name. Now, it doesn't do so consistently; sometimes, although the system tray icon reports a new message and although that new message is in one of my favorite folders, the panel isn't redrawn to reflect that.

Final thing: Kontact occasionally crashes whenever I try to quit (either by logging out or by directly quitting the program). I don't have a stack trace off-hand, but next time this happens, I'll save it.

Has anyone else experienced similar problems? If so, I'm interested in hearing about them, as I'm trying to determine whether my system configuration is bad or whether Kontact is currently unstable.
alvin
Registered Member
OS
Kubuntu 8.10 here.
I can confirm the crashes on exit. I did not file a bug report yet, because it's hard to say what steps are needed to reproduce.
Kontact is not considered unstable, but I'm taking backups every hour just to be sure. Kjots has data loss here and KOrganizer just behaves weird.
KMail works well for me on 3 disconnected imap accounts, and the filters do work for me.
Kryten2X4B
Registered Member
OS
First, I don't use IMAP so I can't tell if it's stable or not there. Apart from Akregator, Kontact is as stable for me as it ever was in the 3.x series. I've run into a couple of glitches here and there, but nothing major and it has certainly never crashed on me since 4.1.

This is using OpenSuse 11.1, beta4, KDE4.1.2. I had the same experience in OpenSuse 11.0, same KDE version.

OpenSUSE 11.4, 64-bit with KDE 4.6.4
Proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
cybertaz
Registered Member
Kryten2X4B wrote:First, I don't use IMAP so I can't tell if it's stable or not there. Apart from Akregator, Kontact is as stable for me as it ever was in the 3.x series. I've run into a couple of glitches here and there, but nothing major and it has certainly never crashed on me since 4.1.

This is using OpenSuse 11.1, beta4, KDE4.1.2. I had the same experience in OpenSuse 11.0, same KDE version.

Same for me. I use POP for email, so I don't know about IMAP. But I have had no stability issues with Kontact at all.

cybertaz, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
1cewolf
Registered Member
I'm on Arch KDEmod and Kontact has been rock solid for me, even after I enabled the unstable repo.

“Really, I'm not out to destroy Microsoft. That will just be a completely unintentional side effect.â€