This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

How to NOT install Akonadi and Nepomuk ?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
navistrar
Registered Member
The web is filled with almost exclusively negative responses to these "services".
The point, once again, is... We don't want to have to "disable them", We don't want to have to "find a workaround for them", We don't want to "uncheck a box" and pretend they're not there... We want them not there.. period (if we chose not to use PIM apps).

It should not be too hard to make these hogs into a dependency for those wishing to use KDEs PIM services. No PIM packages... No Akonadi/Nepomuk... Simple! Unless, of course, there are things at play behind the scenes that we're not aware of... then that's a different issue. Like, making sure that all our private data is packaged nice and neat for easy access for _________ and to make sure it's not just bits and pieces, but all data nicely packaged for easy access for _________. Having personal data "cached in a database" against user's will, simply makes KDE too big of a risk for use with private/confidential information.

Last edited by navistrar on Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
anda_skoa
KDE Developer
OS
navistrar wrote:The point, once again, is... We don't want to have to "disable them", We don't want to have to "find a workaround for them", We don't want to "uncheck a box" and pretend they're not there... We want them not there.. period (if we chose not to use PIM apps).

The software is installed as a dependency by most distributions because is easier to package than to add dialogs that ask users every time there is an access and provide ad-hoc installing methods.

The software, at least in the case of Akonadi, is only run when needed.

But this has already been pointed out multiple times and will of course be ignored again.

navistrar wrote:It should not be too hard to make these hogs into a dependency for those wishing to use KDEs PIM services. No PIM packages... No Akonadi/Nepomuk... Simple!

Seems to me you are addressing the wrong target. This is the KDE forum, you are probably looking for the forum of your operating system provider.
They might be able to tell you why they do not add these dependencies on application level but on library level. Please report back once you know!

navistrar wrote:Unless, of course, there are things at play behind the scenes that we're not aware of... than that's a different issue. Like, making sure that all our private data is packaged nice and neat for easy access for _________

Care to fill out that empty space?
I am not sure anyone understands what you are trying to convey here.

navistrar wrote:Having personal data "cached in a database" against user's will, simply makes KDE too big of a risk for use with private/confidential information.

Could you elaborate how caching in a single file is a bigger risk than caching in multiple files?
Anyway, since the latter is an option as well, easily achievable even by default assuming there is indeed valid research showing a greater risk by using storage in a single file.

Cheers,
_

anda_skoa, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
navistrar
Registered Member
For those interested in compiling without the Akonadi/Nepomuk plague.. there is this link: http://osdir.com/ml/kde-users/2011-07/msg00236.html. I have a few things to iron out but it works.

Interesting to note that average topic on this forum has 50-300 "views". This topic "How to NOT install Akonadi and Nepomuk?" has over 7,000. Just sayin'
Ignacio Serantes
Registered Member
OS
anda_skoa wrote:The software, at least in the case of Akonadi, is only run when needed.

But this has already been pointed out multiple times and will of course be ignored again.

But you are forgetting that several programs called akonadi but they don't need it to work. I'm not use KDEPIM and akonadi starts because I'm using programs like konversation.

I wonder why is so difficult add a check to disable akonadi even when other programs called it, like in nepomuk, because only a terrific developer could write totally automatic applications.

I finally solved my problem not installing akonadi packages and having broken dependencies in my system and all programs I'm using works fine. A lame solution but at least I don't have a big eating memory application doing nothing in my system.

Ignacio Serantes, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Nov.
gerard82
Registered Member
OS
Gentoo allows you to install KDE w/o akonadi or nepomuk.
I found a program that is a hell of a lot lighter and faster than nepomuk/akonadi.(I don't use KDEPIM or kmail)

It's called recoll.
Works like a charm with KDE.
http://www.lesbonscomptes.com/recoll/
Gerard.

Gentoo Linux.
Always up to date.
Rob5
Registered Member
L_V wrote:Akonadi and Nepomuk are quite annoying services especially when you don't need them at all.
They seem to be forced during installation:
- Akonadi forced by korganizer (not needed to manage simple ics calendars).
- Nepomuk forced by kdebase-runtime-data

When creating new user accounts, you immediately try to stop these services which are making undesirable operations and stressing the hard-disk.

Nepomuk can be removed after installation with a script, but will be re-enabled when updating kdebase-runtime-data (see here ).

Is there an option hidden somewhere to not install Akonadi and Nepomuk during KDE4 installation ?
If not, is it planned to make them optional ?

Thank you LV.
This is exactly what I am looking for.
I was used to always disable akonadi-strigi stuff I don't need, and was using separate ics calendars in Korganizer. Working fine in KDE 4.6.
I've tried KDE4.7, and it seems now impossible to manage separate ics calendars in Korganizer.
Is it a known regression ? A bug ?

Do I miss something ?
How to enable again use of separate ics calendars in Korganizer ?
Thanks.
velma
Registered Member
I seem to be fighting akonadi, too. For me it is akonaditray always starting in the panel. It would be nice to know what is calling it up, but now I see that it is distribution specific as another distro I use does not have it in panel upon every restart of computer. I've done every conceivalbe thing to disable or untick, and that is found in several places in Mint KDE 4.8.3 System Settings, Startup and Shutdown, Service Manager. Another place is krunner (Alt + F2) and click the wrench to find nepomuk and possibly other things tied to akonadi. System Settings, Desktop Search, which was disabled on install. Then there's Kontact. I've disabled every component there as I don't use them. Then I followed the advice in this thread, where I thought the last and final place to look for akonadi starting stuff: right click on clock, Digital Clock Settings, Calendar, and untick Display Events. Still it starts. The only thing that has worked for me is removing file
/usr/share/applications/kde4/akonaditray.desktop.
I would only ask for a simply addition to the icon in the panel. Right click on it and add
Quit
then it brings up a dialog,
You sure you want to quit?
Should akonaditray start automatically upon login?
Start, Do Not Start, Cancel. and the wonderful Do not ask me again.