This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Using KDEPIM without Nepomuk and Akonadi

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Moult
Global Moderator
OS
My KDEPIM apps seem to want to use Akonadi. Akonadi apparently must have Nepomuk running. I go to system settings, advanced tab, click "Desktop Search". I uncheck Enable Nepomuk Semantic Desktop and hit apply. Now I keep on getting the error "Nepomuk Indexing Agents have been Disabled". The Akonadi page here: http://userbase.kde.org/Akonadi#Nepomuk ... n_Disabled says that I should run those commands - but that would restart Nepomuk. Is there a way to completely just disable Nepomuk and Akonadi altogether?

Moult, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
thinkMoult - source for tech, art, and animation: hilarity and interest ensured!
WIPUP.org - a unique system to share, critique and track your works-in-progress projects.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
As of KDE 4.4, KDE PIM applications have commenced the migration to Akonadi based infrastructure. At this time it is only for Address book's, but with 4.5, it is likely to spread to mail, and other forms of data such as notes.

Akonadi uses Nepomuk to provide searching capabilities.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
Moult
Global Moderator
OS
Are you saying I cannot disable both Nepomuk and Akonadi? Is there a way to suppress that error message then?

thinkMoult - source for tech, art, and animation: hilarity and interest ensured!
WIPUP.org - a unique system to share, critique and track your works-in-progress projects.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
For the correct and full operation of KDE PIM applications, especially in 4.5, yes that is correct.

Unfortunately I do not know if it is possible to disable the error message....

* bcooksley thinks that Akonadi should potentially offer an alternative search engine for when Nepomuk is unavailable.

KDE Sysadmin
Gumper
Registered Member
I wish the developers of Kontact would give us the option of not using Akonadi. I don't need the features that it provides me. To me it seems like this is being forced on us whether we like it or not.

I wonder if the majority of people using Kontact find that this is something that they need or just more bloat.

Gumper, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
Moult
Global Moderator
OS
I dont mind them including it as an option but ideally i agree that they should provide some option to turn akonadi off. Correct me if I'm horribly mistaken, but isnt akonadi the pim eqivalent of strigi indexing my files?

... or I guess we just need to wait a long time for it to mature enough to be of real use, much like strigi.

bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Akonadi isn't anything close to Strigi.

Akonadi is a unified system for retrieving your PIM data. For instance, in order to monitor your email, previously KMail would need to be running, or the monitor would need your accounts configured seperately with it also. With Akonadi it isn't needed since both work using the same set of data, and without care to how it is retrieved since the Akonadi Server handles that.

KDE Sysadmin
Ignacio Serantes
Registered Member
OS
bcooksley wrote:Akonadi isn't anything close to Strigi.

Akonadi is a unified system for retrieving your PIM data. For instance, in order to monitor your email, previously KMail would need to be running, or the monitor would need your accounts configured seperately with it also. With Akonadi it isn't needed since both work using the same set of data, and without care to how it is retrieved since the Akonadi Server handles that.
So we change an open kmail for an always running resource devouring akonadi instance. I don't see the actual benefits of change a working kmail for high problematic akonadi.

In the future, when akonadi + kontact spend the same resources that KDE 4.3 kontact and has the same speed, I study to use it again as daily basics. Many mail users are happy with old kontact and if developers want to use a new technology they must offer benefits and not headaches.

Plasma is a good example, it's very problematic but at least you can see the advantages over KDE 3 kdesktop. With akonadi running you have less memory, kcontact works worst than previous version and your nepomuk database if full of mail garbage. Even if akonadi works well I don't have mixed with my nepomuk database but I'm forced to have many new tags with my contact groups that I don't want.

Akonadi is not ready to force users to use it because is in really early stages and need nepomuk, a subsystem with many problems itself, to work.

Ignacio Serantes, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Nov.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Akonadi is a much more generic infrastructure that what previously existed. As it does not have any user interface as such, it is more well designed for long term monitoring of mail status.

KDE Sysadmin
Moult
Global Moderator
OS
I think the main question he is talking about is not whether or not Akonadi would potentially be better at the job but instead why users are being introduced to an immature technology without being given a choice to opt out.

bcooksley
Administrator
OS
The main issues with Akonadi are at this time:

1) the MySQL inbuilt configuration is messed up. I use the main systemwide mysql instance when I have Akonadi running, so I haven't had these problems.

2) Nepomuk has problems starting in a large amount of cases.

KDE Sysadmin
Ignacio Serantes
Registered Member
OS
Moult wrote:I think the main question he is talking about is not whether or not Akonadi would potentially be better at the job but instead why users are being introduced to an immature technology without being given a choice to opt out.
Thank you! I know that my engrish is really bad but you understood me.

annew
Manager
OS
Probably because the only way to get testing in real world situations is to get it onto as many different types of system as possible. There have been many inconveniences with this stage, but I have not heard of a single instance of true data loss, so we have to thank the developers for waiting until they could be as certain as possible that this is so.

annew, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct and a KDE user since 2002.
Join us on http://userbase.kde.org
Ignacio Serantes
Registered Member
OS
annew wrote:Probably because the only way to get testing in real world situations is to get it onto as many different types of system as possible. There have been many inconveniences with this stage, but I have not heard of a single instance of true data loss, so we have to thank the developers for waiting until they could be as certain as possible that this is so.
In my country there is a colloquial expression about this: "los experimentos con gaseosa" (do chemistry with soda).

I'm a software developer so I understand the point of view of developers, they want their software will be tested but, one thing is test unstable software for your own decision and other one is being forced to test it. As you point, there have been many inconveniences so is clear, at least for me, that akonadi must wait 6 months for next KDE release.

For me mail is critical so I don't want to be forced to test an alpha software and lost functionalities. I'm using Kmail for ~7 years but, luckily, there is a lot of alternatives out there.

ken.west
Registered Member
OS
I am very annoyed at this akonadi debacle. Kontact takes many minutes to start, it crashes when I'm not doing anything in particular, and freezes every time Kmail checks for mail. It's time to roll back (or use another PIM).