This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Make KMail access contacts from KAddressBook

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
theresonant
Registered Member
OS
Hello!

I've just added (manually) a new address book in KAddressBook named "Work", and I added 4 contacs to it (name and e-mail address). Therefore, there are two address books now, my "Work" and the default "Personal Contacts".

Now, if I go to KMail and create a new message, I'd like to pick some of those addresses from "Work" for the "To:" field, but I don't know how. I noticed there's a "Select" button, just next to the "To:" field, but the window that shows up for it only gives me these address books to pick from: Default Address Book, Distribution Lists, Recent Addresses and Selected Recipients. All of these addresses are empty, except for Recent Addresses, which contain two addresses recently typed in by me.

I went into the Akonadi Console, and I noticed there was an "Address Book" agent, a "Work" agent and a "Personal Contacts" agent. That makes an agent per address book, and an Address Book agent. Am I supposed to configure them to make my address books available in KMail? I don't think so, as the Akonadi Console advertises itself as a tool for advanced settings.

I know that Akonadi is backing up the whole Kontact suite, I've read a few things about it and it looks like a really good idea, even though it's quite criticized by some. I'd like to learn how to use it properly, or at least learn to use Kontact properly.

Cheers!
annew
Manager
OS
You've hit a known bug, but it's easy to deal with (though it could come back). See http://userbase.kde.org/Akonadi#I_can.2 ... dress_Book

Once you've done that, when you hit Select you should be able to choose which addressbook to use, or even All, which is a blend of the addressbooks. However, this is a rapidly moving application, so exactly what you see will depend on the exact version that you are running.

annew, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct and a KDE user since 2002.
Join us on http://userbase.kde.org
theresonant
Registered Member
OS
Thank you for the answer. Unfortunately, my Address Books were still not in the list. I even used "akonadictl stop", then started KAddressBook, then Kontact.

I'll try again after a reboot. Anyway, it's far from critical for me, but I really hope it will be fixed soon, as it's a good feature.

Cheers!
Fintan
Registered Member
OS
I am having the same issue with my gmail address book.

I did this:
Quote from:
http://userbase.kde.org/Akonadi#I_can.27t_see_any_details_in_my_Address_Book
My contacts don't show when I use the Select button in KMail

Check System Settings > Advanced tab > KDE Resources. Make sure that your Akonadi controlled address book(s) are listed there - add them if necessary. At the same time, it's a good idea to make your main Akonadi addressbook, usually called Personal Contacts, is set to be the default.

Making my akonadi_gmail default.

This is quite an issue for me though :(

Edit:
A re-login solved this issue for me Thank you o)
theresonant
Registered Member
OS
Thanks! It really worked! I'm yet to do that re-login, so there still are problems (Kontact hangs when opened), but opening KMail by itself allowed me to access the contacts.

Cheers!
annew
Manager
OS
@theresonant: has the 4.4.1 update come down the line yet? If not, you should get it in a day or two. You will find that the long delays while akonadi does its stuff have entirely disappeared once you get that update. It feels like magic to have KMail running so smoothly again :-)

annew, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct and a KDE user since 2002.
Join us on http://userbase.kde.org
theresonant
Registered Member
OS
No, I'm still with 4.4 currently. Very well then, I'll keep an eye on the updates. I think the delay with Akonadi is indeed my problem: I removed the entry suggested by Fintan's post, and Kontact now starts normally. No address books in KMail, though, of course. Can't wait the update...

Cheers!
Fintan
Registered Member
OS
theresonant wrote: I removed the entry suggested by Fintan's post, and Kontact now starts normally.

"theresonant: I don't recall removing anything :o

Anyway kmail/Kontact is behaving normaly now, except for some gmail import issues but that is for elsewhere ;)
theresonant
Registered Member
OS
Fintan wrote:"theresonant: I don't recall removing anything :o

You didn't, you suggested adding something :) which did the trick, but made my Kontact hang on opening. I removed that "something" (entry in KDE Resources), and now Kontact doesn't hang, but I don't have my addresses brought to KMail.

But annew said that Kontact hang should be fixed in the next update.