This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

incoming mail filters in KMail2

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
orion2000za
Registered Member
OS

incoming mail filters in KMail2

Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:55 pm
Filters in KMail2 seems "erratic" - my Spam filter sometimes work, sometimes not.

I also have several filters on "from" that moves mail from Inbox to folder such as "senderdomain-person" and another filter for "from" "senderdomain" (same domain). The "personfilters" are before the "domainfilter" but now do not seem to work - all "persons" end up in the "senderdomain"-folder whether they have their own subfolder or not.

anyone seen this and can confirm?

Tried using the Filter Logviewew - showed absolutely nothing..

:'(
Horus
Registered Member
OS

Re: incoming mail filters in KMail2

Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:21 pm
I can confirm that.

For me I can clearly rule out a migration issue. After the migration have completetly messed up my KMail I have purged anything akonadi or kmail related from my system and set it up from scratch.

The spam filters were created from the assistent. The spam check filter seem to be applied always, the spam move filter more or less never. Manually apply filter works fine.
sredna
Registered Member
OS

Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:22 pm
I have similar problems with spam filters (set up using the built in guide, bogofilter filters). I think this should be reported as a bug. Most of my other filters works, but I find it absurd that filtering is applied after the mails are placed in inbox, and in a very slow and annoying manner. I think this generates A LOT of mysql writing and other unnessecary activity!
orion2000za
Registered Member
OS

Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:36 am
What I have found out using other forums, mailinglists etc is that filters are ONLY used on mail directed to "inbox". If you redirect filters one way or another to another folder "bypassing" inbox (eg on an account having a different delivery folder as I had) then the filters are not applied at all.

This is at least known by developers though uncertain if it has been reported as a bug
wes33
Registered Member

Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:05 pm
My filters on email directed to "inbox" only work some
of the time. If I *manually* apply them they work fine.

Of course, this problem is almost negligible compared
to the host of more serious problems in kmail 2.1 >:(
sombragris
Registered Member
OS

Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:38 am
I can confirm this in my installation of KMail, too. It's very frustrating.
edt
Registered Member
OS

Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:35 pm
Here kmail2 has been a disaster.

Now when even I try to access a folder I wait for minutes (sometimes hours).

When I try to retireve mail I get many many messages say 'kmail is not able to move messages from inbox' but lots of messages get moved to my Kernel folder... I've still not been able to open my inbox to see what its doing.

If this keeps up kmail2 is going to make me stop using kde...

Ed
piedro
Registered Member
OS

Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:23 pm
>>> Ed

I am feeling the same. Kontact was the reason for me to switch to change to KDE (using gnome before). It looked promising:

- KMail was a beauty with all the filtering working and good system integration
- Basket (my favorite note taking app) supposed to be ported to Kontact again instead of the notes we have now and be integrated
- Kraft (KDE app for invoice creation and handling) should have been integrated into the hole akonadi/Kontact stuff
- Ktasks dito

Seemed to me like a real good PIM-package after all. But now I think the whole project was too ambitious: Kmail is plainly broken (gets an "avoid at all cost"-rating at techradar http://www.techradar.com/news/software/ ... ed-1041236 ), Basket is dead as far as I know, Kraft is not really going forward, cause it's only one guy working on it and the whole system integration like use your PIM-data all over your KDE-desktop seems to be further away than ever before ...

As soon as I find the time I switch back to gnome with thunderbird + addons!

That's my two cents but I know many people using KDE for work and not for pleasure feel the same way. No offense to all the hard working devs out there but in the end effort matters less htan results.

thx for reading,
piedro
mcrbids
Registered Member
OS

Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:07 am
KMail2 is a train wreck. In order to recover any kind of productivity I've switched to Thunderbird, after years of swearing by (and occasionally at) Kmail.

I feel no desire to file bug reports when getting anything at all to work is so difficult. Do any of the devs use Kmail2? So far, it's a wretched way to mangle productivity and lose data.
fcwells59
Registered Member
OS

Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:48 pm
Similar experience with Kmail2.

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=98067&hilit=kmail

fcwells59, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Dec.
Cloddy
Registered Member
OS

Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:55 am
sredna wrote:I have similar problems with spam filters (set up using the built in guide, bogofilter filters). I think this should be reported as a bug. Most of my other filters works, but I find it absurd that filtering is applied after the mails are placed in inbox, and in a very slow and annoying manner. I think this generates A LOT of mysql writing and other unnessecary activity!

I have the same trouble but a check on the filter log shows that the filter is working - at least in some cases - in that the mail is sent through bogofilter, but the resultant filtered message shows no evidence of being dealt with by bogofilter.

Kmail2 isn't wholly to blame. I had many troubles with filtering in Kmail1 in that filters involving addressbook rarely worked because addresses were not found.