This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

kmail migration failed + interactive fails

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
20a8
Registered Member
I just upgraded from KDE 4.6 to KDE 4.7.2 (on openSuSE), logged out and back in and then tried to start kontact. The migration failed instantly and told me to do "kmail-migrator --interactive".
Running this told me "kmail-migrator(8926) main: Migration of kmailrc has already run, not running it again".
Kmail won't start now, and tells me "In KMail ist ein schwerwiegender Fehler aufgetreten. Das Programm wird beendet. Die Fehlermeldung lautet: Fehler beim Einholen der Ressourcen-Sammlung." which is something like "KMail has encountered a fatal error. The program will be terminated. The error message is: Error in getting resource collection." in English. So, I have "lost kontact" to all of my mails now ...
Searching the forums indicated that akonadi might be worth a look, and a "akonadictl restart" outputs many nice lines but ends with the snippet below (the last 3 lines are repeated 5 times):

(...)
Known subscriber "akonadi_maildispatcher_agent" subscribes again
Known subscriber "akonadi_maildispatcher_agent" subscribes again
Database "akonadi" opened using driver "QMYSQL"
akonadi_maildispatcher_agent(8530)/libakonadi Akonadi::SpecialCollectionsRequestJob::slotResult: Failed SpecialCollectionsRequestJob::slotResult "Unbekannter Fehler. (Fehler beim Einholen der Ressourcen-Sammlung.)"
akonadi_maildispatcher_agent(8530) OutboxQueue::Private::localFoldersRequestResult: Failed to get outbox folder. Retrying in: 5000
akonadi_maildispatcher_agent(8530)/libakonadi Akonadi::SpecialCollectionsRequestJobPrivate::resourceScanResult: Failed to request resource "akonadi_maildir_resource_0" : "Unbekannter Fehler. (Fehler beim Einholen der Ressourcen-Sammlung.)"

"Unbekannter Fehler" means "Unknown error" which doesn't give me a clue.

Is there a way I can get access to my mails without switching to a different email/PIM program? What is one supposed to do if kmail migration fails?
jlturriff
Registered Member
OS
Yep; you're not the only one. Both of the accounts that I have on my machine did the same thing after I upgraded from 4.6 to 4.7. The only difference is that all of the messages that I got were in English.

I'm running OpenSuSE 12.1, just upgraded from 11.4.

Hope someone has some suggestions for how to recover from this, since I haven't a clue. I was thinking of creating a new account, setting up kmail fresh, then copying its directories into my broken accounts and trying again, but I'm afraid of it totally scrambling my existing mailbox, so I'm holding off in hopes of a better solution.

Leslie
jlturriff
Registered Member
OS
Well, I found an item in the Kmail FAQ that will probably get my mail working again; it's at http://userbase.kde.org/KMail/FAQs_Hint ... _migration.

I've followed all of steps 1 through 3, but I'm stuck in step 4, where it says, "You might already see a Local folder resource. This points to a local maildir folder. You can either modify this to point to your existing maildir folders or you can add a new resource for local mails."

I do see a Local Folders entry in the folder list (in fact that's all there is). So how do I "modify this to point to [my] existing maildir folders"? There doesn't seem to be any way to do it from inside Kmail. Do I have to modify one (or more) of the config files? If so, which one(s)?

Hoping to get my kmail working again,

Leslie
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Try opening KMail > Settings > Configure KMail > Accounts > Receiving. Select "Local Folders" and press Modify. You should then be able to continue with the instructions

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
zlisiecki
Registered Member
OS
Hi, I also upgraded openSuSE and migrated kmail. Now I fight against a strange behaviur: Mails received appear twice, triple and so on. Even if I delete them they reappear after a shirt time ! Their number is steadily slowly increasing ! It looks like kmail is receiving mail not only from outer mailboxes, but also from "Local folder" itself. It stores the incomming mail and receives it once more from the place where it already is.

For me it sounds strange that "Local folder" appears as an entry in kmail settings -> incomming accounts ! But one cannot delete it from this place.

While deleting double mails per hand an error window appears with a message: "Local catalogs: Error opening; this folder is missing".

Another effect is that numerous old mails from other folders appear in "incomming" folder and dissappear after a short time !

Does anybody have an idea how to solve this problem ?

Last edited by zlisiecki on Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Whilst I am not sure why you are having that problem, I would recommend sending an email to kdepim-users@kde.org which may be able to help you with the problem (as the developers tend to watch that mailing list more often than they do the forum).

KDE Sysadmin
zlisiecki
Registered Member
OS
Yes, I'll do it, but are "Local folders" neccessary in settings -> incomming mail accounts in your installation too ?
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
I can confirm that "Local Folders" is needed and should be present there. A default Akonadi setup includes it at the very least.

One thing to check for is defective email filter rules which could be causing this duplication. Try disabling them.

KDE Sysadmin
zlisiecki
Registered Member
OS
Yes, I checked the filter rules. I found one error, which i corrected. Nevertheless the posts appear multiple times in "inbox" folder too, so filters cannot be decisive here.

Last edited by zlisiecki on Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Can you try removing all POP accounts from your system then adding them again?
Also, please check for POP specific filters.

KDE Sysadmin
zlisiecki
Registered Member
OS
POP accounts disappeared in the process of migration, so I already reentered them again. I aslo checked my filters once more. I found no error.

Btw. after kmail start new message copies appear at first in the inbox folder. They are then distributet correctly in subfolders according to my filter rules. Is it correct that mails from the inbox are subject to filters ? In kmail 1 filters have been applied to mails bevor they reached any folder and the rest have been stored in the inbox.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
I believe that (the appearance of messages in the Inbox) is caused by a technical detail as to how filters operate in the current KMail / Akonadi infrastructure.

Do the messages appear multiple times if you disable all filters (both Normal and POP)?

KDE Sysadmin
benbrewster
Registered Member
I have just upgraded from SuSE 11.4 to 12.1. Kmail crashes on startup with the error message "failed to fetch the resource collection". I can't do any of the repairs above which require starting Kmail and going to "Configure Kmail" as it won't start. And I can't use the tip involving rebuilding the akonadi system, since my computer says there is no such command as "akonadict1". The error messages I get when trying to start Kmail in a terminal indicate the problem has to do with nepomuk and akonadi, but I can't make any sense of them. How should I proceed?

Ben Brewster
benbrewster
Registered Member
Oops! It should have been akondictl (L rather then the number 1). I wish fonts weren't so ambiguous. Once I did that, Kmail was configurable, and I was able to migrate my old email.

Ben Brewster
zlisiecki
Registered Member
OS
I experienced exactly the same problem by SuSE upgrade.