This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Please, leave KMail on old mailboxes!!!

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
alukin
Registered Member
Well, I updated Fedora 15 to 16 and loosed my e-mail. KMail was my default e-mail client for years, and suddenly it stopped to work!!! I do not need this F..NG cool features, I just need old plain text mailboxes and working mail client.

Akonadi may be cool stuff but very, very stupid when applied to mail fetching and storing. Use it for internal KDE stuff but LEAVE MY MAIL ALONE!!! IN PLAIN TEXT FILE in old good mbox format! Thanks to God, Kmail2 did not erased old data!

To be honest, it is just "scream of despair". I want to beat the **** of that young and stupid programmer who implemented such a "brilliant" idea.

alukin, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Nov.
einar
Administrator
OS
There's no such thing as Akonadi hosting mails. Please read this throroughly:

http://blogs.kde.org/node/4503

"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent."
Plasma FAQ maintainer - Plasma programming with Python
alukin
Registered Member
Anyway, I will not use KMail anymore.

ddan
Registered Member
OS
Alukin, the conversion didn't work in my case. It created all the folders but the folders are empty. There is a great advantage to having files rather than a database. (1) If a file gets corrupted you lose one folder, if the database gets corrupted you lose all your email. Fedora is not very stable and crashes several times a week, especially when using external discs. So the database getting corrupted is possible. (2) with the folders being files you still have the option of going to a different email program easily. (3) I use a laptop and desktop for email. When I'm away I use the laptop, when I get home things have to be synced back up. I just have to move new email into a new folder(s) on the laptop and then transfer the 5 or 6 files associated with the folder to the desktop. These new folders then show in my desktop kmail. I then can transfer these emails to the folder(s) were they belong. How I'm I going to do this with a database? (4) I have also being reading that this database is much slower and is a big memory hog. This concerns me as I have over 4GB of email.

As to your problem you may be able to use vmplayer (vmware) to install Fedora 14 or Fedora 15 and that way you could still use the old Kmail. This is not a long term solution however because after a year Fedora stops making updates.

ddan
alukin
Registered Member
I switched to Thunderbird for e-mail and to Jitsi for IM. Both are not integrated in DE, so... at least now I don't depend on KDE. It's a pity that such a good piece of software like KDE was spoiled by stupid "innovations"... Guys like Aaron, Lennart and similar are just disaster for community.

einar
Administrator
OS
Please refrain from calling community members "disaster to the community". Always remember the Code of Conduct: "Be respectful".

alukin
Registered Member
Thanks for remaining. May be this "be respectful" does not allow that guys above to get an idea what community really thinks of their "creativity".

eehmke
Registered Member
OS
alukin wrote:Thanks for remaining. May be this "be respectful" does not allow that guys above to get an idea what community really thinks of their "creativity".

I can only support this. I don't want to attack anybody, but KMail in KDE4 is just annoying. I have been using KDE since version 1.x and never had a bad experience like this. For the first time I think of switching to Thunderbird, even if the gui is not as nice and it is not well integrated in KDE. IT WORKS!
einar
Administrator
OS
Filing bugs with detailed (as much as possible) descriptions will likely get things fixed faster than saying "it doesn't work".

That said, the situation is improving: it's not like the developers are scheming in ivory towers, today I just saw an improvement request being discussed that would make mail indexing much faster and less RAM-consuming.

mcrbids
Registered Member
OS
As a long, long time KDE user since 1.x, I can only describe my distaste at the recent changes in Kmail. I just upgraded from Fedora 14 to 16, and am completely dead in the water. I have a backup made before the upgrade, but have no idea what to do with it since 14 is EOL very soon.

File bugs? Where to begin?

1) NONE of my email imported. That's right, NONE.

2) NONE of my passwords were preserved. That's right, NONE.

3) Trying to do basic tasks (such as setting up an account) take a VERY, VERY LONG TIME. As in, click "Save Settings" and wait 5 minutes or more. This is on a quad-core i7 "workstation" laptop with 8 GB of RAM, mind you.

4) Email sync was very, very slow on my 10+ Mbit Internet connection.

5) Despite selecting "disconnected IMAP", there was frequently a 2 MINUTE wait to view an "already downloaded" email with a 2 MB PDF attachment.

6) I could not identify a working method to delete an email. Using the Del key, right clicking on move to trash, drag with the mouse, whatever - no method worked as far as I could determine.

Filing bugs is something you do when you discover something that doesn't work. Moving on to something else is what you do when you can't really find something that does work.

I recognize that somebody thought this change was a good thing for reasons that I can only claim to be ignorant of, and I sure don't want to complain about forward progress, but this is a train wreck and I am deeply disappointed.
einar
Administrator
OS
mcrbids wrote:1) NONE of my email imported. That's right, NONE.

The developers would appreciate a report with more complete details.

3) Trying to do basic tasks (such as setting up an account) take a VERY, VERY LONG TIME. As in, click "Save Settings" and wait 5 minutes or more. This is on a quad-core i7 "workstation" laptop with 8 GB of RAM, mind you.

I set up an account on a similar machine just 6 months ago (i7 w/16 Gb RAM), and I haven't seen the issue you mentioned. Are you sure it's not another bit of the stack (even KDE) that's causing it?

5) Despite selecting "disconnected IMAP", there was frequently a 2 MINUTE wait to view an "already downloaded" email with a 2 MB PDF attachment.

Improvements for this will land in 4.8. I see them already with my git master install.

6) I could not identify a working method to delete an email. Using the Del key, right clicking on move to trash, drag with the mouse, whatever - no method worked as far as I could determine.

Did you do a single email, or a batch? If the latter, just today a performance bottleneck has been found and discussion started on how to fix it.

Filing bugs is something you do when you discover something that doesn't work. Moving on to something else is what you do when you can't really find something that does work.

I disagree. Without bug reports one can't fix anything.

fcwells59
Registered Member
OS
Here, here. I'm also disillusioned with the Kmail train (wreck?).

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=98067&hilit=kmail

fcwells59, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Dec.
Wieland
Registered Member
OS
Hi at all,

@einar: did you (the moderators and/or kmail2/kdepim developers) ever took a look into: kdepim-users@kde.org
There are lots of problems described, related to kmail2.
I think it's a great pity that there is no possibility given to switch back to kmail1 without compiling!

Btw, the often mentioned prophecy, with kde4.8 everything's going better, is not really helpful.

Regards

Andreas
swissinvestor
Registered Member
OS
I can only support this. I will never ever believe anything again that comes from Kmail developers. Now it will be 4.8 which is so great etc etc. I have heard this "4.X will be better blahblah" too often now and am simply not believing it anymore. I got so furious today that I pulled the plug today and am now in the process of moving everything to Evolution. A time consuming task but the first time I feel really good because I soon have this unmitigated Kmail desaster behind me.

Of course, to realize during this process that I have very likely lost some emails due to this Kmail 4.7.3 garbage upgrade, made my bad feelings towards Kmail only worse.

Frankly I think some of these Kmail developers deserve to be told that they lack respect for listening to users and taking care of users. I believe the mess they created with Kmail now 4.7.3 is simply unacceptable.

Ubuntu 11.10 now with Evolution instead of Kmail 4.7.3
fcwells59
Registered Member
OS
It's evident reading these threads that the devs aren't. In fact, there seems to be no useful user/developer collaboration forum, aside from bugs.kde.org. This is among the many hurdles that prevent earnest investment in the platform; by users, distrubutions or by investors. :-\

fcwells59, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Dec.