This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Is Kmail/Kontact suite still being developed?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Joeg1484
Registered Member
OS
I ask because there are 6 pages on this forum and thousands of other forum messages all over the Internet with complaints of issues with Kmail2...

Yet, NO developers chiming in to assist... Tons of threads going unanswered or replies from the OP begging for help.

Is Kmail a dead project now?

Just wondering if we should all move over to Thunderbird?

Personally, I have not had many issues with Kmail, but, I have been using it for 10 years or so, so I am quite familiar with its idiosyncrasies and can get past most issues.

But, if its a dead project, I don't want to rely on it for my critical mail needs.

Thoughts?

Joe
annew
Manager
OS
Feedback from the developers has been rather lacking for some time, but recently we have had two developers, one mainly on the kdepim user mailing list and the other on the forum here, working hard to help users solve specific problems. It would be nice to have more, but we all have limits on our time, so I'm grateful to the devs giving theirs to help us.

annew, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct and a KDE user since 2002.
Join us on http://userbase.kde.org
Joeg1484
Registered Member
OS
annew wrote:Feedback from the developers has been rather lacking for some time, but recently we have had two developers, one mainly on the kdepim user mailing list and the other on the forum here, working hard to help users solve specific problems. It would be nice to have more, but we all have limits on our time, so I'm grateful to the devs giving theirs to help us.

Absolutely! I, too am greatfull for the devs and the community for all their help and dedication to Open Source!

Just wasn't sure how development was going seeing all the issues that have been cropping up in recent months and the slow to respond times with bug fixes; however, having a small dev department, I can certainly understand as these folks have jobs and a life too :-D.

Unfortunately, after not having had any issues (Should not have said anything in the first thread :-D), I had a mail issue yesterday that took me most the evening to resolve, so had to move to Thunderbird for my Imap connections.

I do look forward to a working kmail in the future as it is a great suite and a good companion to KDE.

Thanks for the information!

All the best!
Joe
airdrik
Registered Member
OS
One big reason for the surge of new bugs is that they did just release the new version of the KDEPIM suite which uses Akonadi as the backend (now officially included as part of the KDE 4.7 SC), so with a brand new version comes a brand new set of bugs (as has happened with most/all of the KDE 4.x.0 releases). I can imagine that the developers are swamped, between fixing bugs and answering requests (and implementing new functionality).

airdrik, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Dec.
blackpaw
Registered Member
OS
Theres a blog post re your question here:

http://cgbdx.wordpress.com/2011/12/07/i ... developed/

Things are definitely moving on the KMail2 front - you might get more prompt responses on the kde-pim users list.
Joeg1484
Registered Member
OS
Wow, very kool (As stated on the blog :-D).

Thanks for the update and information.

Much appreciated!

Joe