This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

How do I backup kmail2?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
dveatch
Registered Member

How do I backup kmail2?

Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:54 pm
It used to be simple with the old kmail; copy .kde/share/apps/kmail elsewhere and at least you had the mails. But I cannot figure out how to do this with kmail2.

I look in .kde/share/apps/kmail2/ and there is only an autosave folder (empty) and a lock file.

I look in .local/share/local-mail/ and cur, new and tmp are empty.

The only thing found so far is under Tools/Archive Folder but that's not really what I want especially since it only lets me archive one folder at a time.
annew
Manager
OS

Re: How do I backup kmail2?

Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:32 pm
Your mail hasn't moved, so back up exactly the same folders as before for the messages. That won't include the Akonadi database, though, so I'd recommend extending your backup script to include ~/.local and ~/.config (you could restrict that to the subdirectories immediately related, but to be honest it doesn't save much and there's always the risk of missing something).

annew, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct and a KDE user since 2002.
Join us on http://userbase.kde.org
dveatch
Registered Member

Re: How do I backup kmail2?

Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:30 pm
annew wrote:Your mail hasn't moved, so back up exactly the same folders as before for the messages..

Ermm OK.

I am only interested in mail so unless there is some hidden mail messages stashed in .local or .config I don't care about those and I have not added any additional locations.

So even though the folders mentioned are empty, there is still still mail there? Perhaps I am missing some fine point here but that doesn't make any sense.
dveatch
Registered Member

Re: How do I backup kmail2?  Topic is solved

Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:26 pm
Ahhh, never mind. Found where all that stuff is; .local/share/.local-mail.directory. I some how missed that one.