This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Folder for Kmail mails storage?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
roger3000
Registered Member

Folder for Kmail mails storage?

Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:20 pm
Hi,

my daughter wishing to move from Kmail to Thunderbird, I have been looking around for the folder where the emails are stored (I finally figured out that there is no "export" option in Kmail).

I already asked this question before (viewtopic.php?f=20&t=97885), to import e-mails to a newer version of Kontact, but I solved my previous problem without answering this specific question.

I had been told to check kde4-config --localprefix
which gave me an obvious ~/.kde
but navigating to ~/.kde/share/apps/kmail or .../kmail2 (or .../kontact or whatever) did not drive me up to my emails...

~/.kde/share/apps/kmail only have a .directory file, and .../kmail2 indeed exhibit a /mail subfolder, but containing nothing but a .directory file.

I also checked the ~/.kde/share/config/kmail.rc and kmail2.rc, looking for a [General] section that would document the "Folders", having been told that either the path is written, or it is, by default, ~/.kde/share/apps/kmail/mail

Would anybody know where I should look at?

Thanks a lot!
einar
Administrator
OS

Re: Folder for Kmail mails storage?

Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:37 pm
Which type of setup is this? POP or IMAP? The location changes depending on that.

"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent."
Plasma FAQ maintainer - Plasma programming with Python
roger3000
Registered Member

Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:46 pm
hi,
thanks for your reply.
I didn't know that...
I only have POP accounts.
einar
Administrator
OS
POP mail is stored in Maildir format, so I would argue somewhere under $HOME/.share/local-mail or $HOME/.share/.local-mail.directory

"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent."
Plasma FAQ maintainer - Plasma programming with Python
roger3000
Registered Member

Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:13 am
OK, I got it :)
thank you so much!