This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

kmail doesn't recognizes edits to Kontact addressbook.

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
rcdawson
Registered Member
OS
Kontact 4.4.9, KDE 4.4.5, Mandriva 2010.2

I edited an entry in the Kontact addressbook (the only addressbook that I have), but when I go to Kmail, compose a message, click on the select button to the right of the address field, and pick the name of the addressee that I want, kmail inserts the unedited email address. The old address, not the address that is currently in the Kontact listings.

Similarly, if I try to type the name in to address field, the old, unedited address appears in the list of similar names.

Two questions.
(1) Why is kmail not using the newly edited kontact entry, and how do I cause kmail to get the fresh entry?

(2) I assume that the list of similar names that appears when one starts to type in a name of address in the "to" field consists of previously used names. How does one eliminate an obsolete or bad address from that list?

Thank you in advance.

Richard
annew
Manager
OS
I think it is probably using the Recent Addresses entry. In KMail1 you can get rid of that by using the Edit Recent Addresses button on the Compose page of KMail settings. I don't have KMail2, but I think you will find some similar option. In KMail1 the recent addresses are stored in kmailrc, so if you don't find an option you might want to look at that - but make a backup before editing it.

annew, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct and a KDE user since 2002.
Join us on http://userbase.kde.org
rcdawson
Registered Member
OS
I am using Kmail 1. I tried changing the default to not use recent addresses. I still have the same problem.

A new wrinkle: I added a new address to the address book, and that didn't show up when I attempted to select names from within kmail. Apparently kmail is using a different address book than the one displayed when I go to contacts.

How do I tell the two programs where to look for their data?
rcdawson
Registered Member
OS
I was unable to solve this problem. Updated to Mandriva 2011, and now I have a different set of problems! At least I was able to transfer both my mail (almost all of it) and my address book. I'll post in new threads to seek help with the new problems.