This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

I am loosing message bodies with kmail ..

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
piedro
Registered Member
OS
I use kmail2 on many different IMAP email accounts. I am annoyed about all the unconvenient recent regressions, but I try to deal with them cause a complete change to another PIM scares me even more. But one prblem I really can't handle is that Kmail2 seems to loose message bodies under some circumstances. The only way to get the messages complete seems to be to delete the imap account and set it up again. I have done that a few times for various accounts, but after awhile I start getting some empty messages again ...

What's wrong here and how to solve it?

thx for reading,
piedro
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
What caching policy is set for the folder which has these problems?
Which version of KDE are you using?

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
clickybang
Registered Member
OS
I'm having the same problem, with messages imported from Thunderbird in a POP account. The import seemed to go without a problem, but on reading old messages, the subject and sender details are shown at the top of the preview pane, but nothing else.

I'm using 4.7.4 on Fedora 64bit.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
@clickybang: If you right click on the folder and select "Update Folder" after clearing any filters does this have any impact?

KDE Sysadmin
clickybang
Registered Member
OS
Yup - the empty messages are gone completely. Well, drat...

I had upgraded to 4.8 and it was running fine, then this morning it froze and wouldn't load anything. A quick log out and back in, and it seemed to be okay again, until I noticed a couple of messages were blank. Even viewing source brought up an empty page.

A bit frustrating - I'd really rather not be using Tbird!
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
As you are using IMAP, can you please use your providers Webmail or another similar client to check to see if the message(s) affected are intact there?

KDE Sysadmin
frasty
Registered Member
OS
I am having the same problem using maildir folders.
I've just tried kmail2 for the first time and message bodies are empty.
Accessing the maildir from within mutt works fine though.

Fedora 32
Plasma 5.19.2
clickybang
Registered Member
OS
bcooksley wrote:As you are using IMAP, can you please use your providers Webmail or another similar client to check to see if the message(s) affected are intact there?

I'm using POP - although I'm starting to wonder if I should switch to IMAP and see if there's any improvement. I've had to go back to Tbird in the meantime.

Is POP considered old-school now? I'm not using folders with huge numbers of emails in them - maybe 200 or 300 at the most?
einar
Administrator
OS
A number of bugs in handling local mailboxes have been fixed (with other in the queue) for 4.8.1.

"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent."
Plasma FAQ maintainer - Plasma programming with Python
piedro
Registered Member
OS
Now with a new install of Kubuntu 12.04 featuring kmail 4.8.2 I am still loosing Mail. I don't get why this is treated so nonchalantly! How can anyone be expected to use Kmail on a productive box when there is still a huge risk of loosing mail. I did get some mails sent to me containing bills and job instrutions. Got lost with empty bodies again. May be filtering is still broken, maybe bogofilter doesn't work, couls be akonadi databasse corruption ... whatever: In my eyes it is irresponsible of KDE developers to release stuff in that state on big, supposedly productive distributions. The KDE team should be honest about the showblocking flaws and tell everybody NOT to use until it's fixed.

this is still a mess.
thx, p.
frasty
Registered Member
OS
piedro wrote:In my eyes it is irresponsible of KDE developers to release stuff in that state on big, supposedly productive distributions. The KDE team should be honest about the showblocking flaws and tell everybody NOT to use until it's fixed.

this is still a mess.
thx, p.

kmail2 besides some other kdepim related package should have been relegated on a ppa, for a distribution with LTS in its name at least.

Fedora 32
Plasma 5.19.2
piedro
Registered Member
OS
Back to the roots:

KDE 4.14 on Arch fully upgraded and there I am - having again lots and many of these empty mails bodies...

Ok, now I will surpress my ranting on regressions AGAIN, and just have to nag around here again, sry for that:

Many of my mail bodies in an imap account are gone (from past experience, I guess this could be filter problems).
The mails on the server are still allright, locally they are not.

So: How can I fix that and how can I restart akonadi and the mail filters clean WITHOUT loosing all my account settings?

thx for your help,
piedro
einar
Administrator
OS
Open "akonadiconsole", go to "Browser" tab, right click on your account / folder and select "Clean Akonadi cache". Then try retrieving messages again.

piedro
Registered Member
OS
thx. This worked for IMAP folders...

the effected mails in my local folders which I use as mail archive still don't get their mail bodies back - obviously these mails have been stripped of their content and afterwards saved to disk so the mail bodies cannot be recovered ...

p.

p.s.: 5 years of mail archives partially destroyed ... not a big problem ...
einar
Administrator
OS
Can you file a bug with detailed descriptions of the data loss sympthoms? There's little one could do unless the developers are aware of it.